Cannabis Becomes Legal in Canada Tomorrow

Opinions or Thoughts?

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 by JuniorCrooks | Discussion: Life, the Universe and Everything

The day has finally come, cannabis will become legal October, 17, 2018. There are as many proponents as there are opponents for marijuana legalization, I am not sure that I have an opinion one way or the other. Some research suggest that cannabis should be avoided by those under the age of 25 because it stunts the developing brain, my brain has never developed so I am not sure if that means that it is safe or unsafe for myself to consume it.

I am curious to hear your thoughts on the cannabis debate.

starkers
Reply #1 Tuesday, October 16, 2018 11:28 PM

For someone who was never able to use it due to making me ill with extreme nausea, I never really thought of it as a good or beneficial thing, though I never begrudged those I knew who could/did partake of it.  What they did was their business.  However, things have changed over the last few months after my sister convinced me to give it another try.

My sister suffers from chronic pain, as do I, and she's been using it to assist with that for a few years now.  Anyway, I was at her place a while ago and struggling with hip, knee and lower back pain when she suggested that I try a little to see if it helped.  Well I gave it a small try and I haven't looked back since.

Now I don't use it to get stoned.  I don't care about that.  It does help with arthritic pain and sleep deprivation, though, and that's what I use it for.  I generally take it at night before bed to help me sleep, but if the pain becomes a bit much during the day I will use a small amount then.

So, from somebody who wouldn't touch it, I have changed my tune.  I don't know that I approve of purely it in a recreational sense, but as a medicinal aid I do think cannabis has a place, especially for those suffering with chronic pain and illnesses such as cancer and heart disease, etc.  I mean, why should people suffer serious pain and have to take hardcore drugs when cannabis is effective and less harmful than morphine, etc.

So yeah, it has its upside, though it isn't legalised for medicinal use in my neck of the woods as yet.  I hope it soon will be, but I won't hold my breath, given the stalling thus far on its legislation.  Sometimes I think our legislators believe we'll become a nation of stoned wasters if they legalise it.  Maybe they need to keep an eye on the Canadian example to prove them wrong.

LightStar
Reply #2 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:12 AM

Never tried it in my life and the only reason I can see for its use is medical reasons only. Using it just to get "high" is stupid, but then again, so is 90% of the human race. LOL

starkers
Reply #3 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 1:17 AM

LightStar

I tried it in my younger days and it made me ill, probably because I was stupid back then and was trying to get high.  Thankfully I grew up and now see it from an entirely different perspective.  I know of people who smoke it purely to get stoned, but that's not my go anymore.

These days it's purely for medical purposes.  In fact, I wouldn't be doing it at all if it weren't for my sister convincing me that it did help with pain and that I could cut down on heavy duty pain killers and their side effects.  Now I don't know if I'm any better or worse off financially, but I sure am feeling better with fewer stomach upsets and drug related nausea.

I bet that pisses off the drug companies because I'm taking far fewer pain meds.  In fact, that's probably why cannabis is or has been illegal worldwide... the power of the drug companies preventing its legalisation.

WebGizmos
Reply #4 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 2:32 AM

I was waiting to finally get my "Medical Marijuana" card so I could try it for pain. Let first say that I had my doubts that it would work...because during the sixties I did extensive research in the field of marijuana...and despite popular belief we had some kicked pot back then. But the youngins today spun a good yarn claiming that pot these days was 25% stronger than it was back then...yeah right...ok...so we'll give it a try.

Now for those who don't know I've been suffering 24/7 for debilitating pain for quite a few years now to the point of at least once a day I consider ending it. It's so bad some days that if you claimed shoving as 2x4 up my ass would work I'd consider trying it. Anyway...before the "CBD oil" I tried the stuff called "Charlotte Web" that was claimed to have helped many people suffering from all kinds of ailments...it did nothing...it tasted like mont flavored oil and might as well have been olive oil for what it was worth. That only cost $40 and change. Now I tried the CBD oil...and I REALLY wanted this to work. I currently take 7.5mg of Oxyconton 4 times a day and that barely dies anything for me...and I'd really not be taking it. So...I got this "Vapor" pen at a cost of $88 and it was 68% THC...and I was very disappointed. All it did was make me drowsy...it did work fast...but I didn't even get the munchies. So although it did help me somewhat with sleep I won't be using it for pain.

My conclusion is that although it IS THC oil and it WILL do the same thing as smoking a joint...they should NOT be claiming it will help with pain...it doesn't even come close. And this is nothing more than a get rich quick gimmick praying on uninformed and unwary people desperate to try anything for pain relief.

It's safe! I smoked tons of the stuff during the sixties and it did not stunt my intelligence growth in any way. I got he munchies alot and got lots of sleep and had a great fucking time. People that "research" generally don't try it themselves and use lab animals instead. If it made then stupid they couldn't write their research papers. And about the only bad thing you might experience from it is an anxiety attack...which will pass. Other than that...you couldn't overdose on pot if you tried.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #5 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 3:07 AM

I smoked it every now and then when I was a teenager and never got sick from it. I agree that smoking it to get high may not be the smartest thing to do but now it is legal here to do so, not my thing but after 40+ years of not having a toke I might try it for my insomnia.

We can order it online or in my case travel 20 minutes to purchase it, heck, we are even allowed to grow up to 3 plants in our home. The times they are a changin.

WebGizmos
Reply #6 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 6:13 AM

JuniorCrooks

smoking it to get high may not be the smartest thing to do

It's no different than drinking a beer to wind down. People just need to get over the stigma it was given by ignorant people. If you want to know just how silly this whole pot is bad for you thing was got to youtube and watch "Reefer Madness." The ignorance is glaringly obvious and uses for the pot plant should have never been ignored...it (the hemp plant) was once a cash crop in this country. Go watch "Hemp for Victory" on youtube.

Chasbo
Reply #7 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 6:44 AM

Canada I applaud thee! If I were younger I'd move there. Universal Health Care and legal pot! Kudos to Canada!

Victechnical
Reply #8 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:26 AM

I smoked a bit in the 60s and don't believe it had any lasting negative effects.  If I were to try it again I would go with an edible product as I wouldn't want to inhale smoke.  I'd be interested to hear if anyone finds it helpful for insomnia, which seems to be a "feature" of increasing age.

Uvah
Reply #9 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:33 AM

Back in the day there were only five kinds of pot that I knew of. Dirt pot, which was just that, leftovers. Columbian Red and Gold, both were pretty good but the gold was more expensive. Then there was Chibas, a black gritty type that would put you on cloud nine in some other reality. The fifth was Hawaiian blonde, yellow strips instead of buds that you had to cut up with scissors. I liken pot to alcohol except one is addictive and the other isn't (pot is not addictive because if it were no one would be able to go days and or weeks without it). So, that said I did my share of toking. First to get high then after a while to relieve back pain and an on again off again sciatica in my left hip.

I don't drink because I have zero tolerance for alcohol. One shot and I'm tipsy, one more and I don't even stand up let alone walk. Anyway, for me it was curiosity at first. At age 25 (really late comer) I smoked my first joint and boom, I was blitzed and then some. Listening to AC/DC's Sweet Emotion sitting on the floor with my back to the couch and on my way to never never land. These days, forty years later, I still smoke and make no apologies for it. It helps with a lot all things considered. As for it being 25% more potent lets say than it was back then...bullshit! Doesn't even come close. Today its all designer stuff. Were it to go legal here I'd be the first on line, no bull. I don't suffer from anxiety, reduces stress to near zero levels, keeps my blood pressure down and even my doctors were impressed with that.

When I first applied for subsidized housing eight years ago I had to undergo an evaluation by a psychologist because they required some kind of determination to see if I had any issues like depression or some such. Turns out all they could get was mild depression (because there was nothing else there lol) and wanted to prescribe meds for it. Not gonna happen! I've seen what those so called meds do to people. If I want to be a walking talking zombie I'll apply for a part in a movie. Like booze it doesn't affect everyone the same way. And like booze it can impair your judgement which is why you don't get behind the wheel and drive and why it should be regulated just like alcohol is. Not to mention the fact that you can't drink on an empty stomach unless you like puking your brains out or waking up the next say with a hang over that makes you want to shoot yourself.

WebGizmos
Reply #10 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 9:30 AM

Victechnical

Worked great for me in that respect. I got a vapor pen to try for pain and all it really did was help me sleep...and it works pretty quick.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #11 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:02 AM

WebGizmos

Quoting JuniorCrooks,

smoking it to get high may not be the smartest thing to do

I am not talking about just to wind down, if you want to compare it to alcohol that is fine but there is a big difference between winding down and getting drunk. I would not smoke pot to get stoned and I would not drink alcohol to get drunk, I did when I was young but not now. It also has nothing do with being safe or unsafe, I do a lot of things that are unsafe including consuming sugar and I have type 2 diabetes, I just do not want to get stoned or drunk, that is all there is to it.

starkers
Reply #12 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:40 AM

WebGizmos

Hey Webby, sorry to read of your pot and pain experience.  And yeah, I do believe there are some who seek to profit from so-called 'medical marijuana, but that's not what I'm currently trying.  My sister gets home grown stuff from a friend, and I get it from her.

Thing is, it is helping me with pain and sleep issues.  Now I won't say that it completely rids me of the pain, but it does take the edge off and I use far less pain meds as a result.

As for alcohol, I have a few beers and an occasional scotch or bourbon, but it's in moderation and I don't get drunk because the last thing I need is to wake with vertigo [which I do most days] and a hangover on top of it.

JuniorCrooks
Reply #13 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:49 AM

I just created an account and I am all set up to purchase pot. My Province offers 73 varieties of dried leaf that I can purchase online.

Hankers
Reply #14 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:59 AM

Island Dog
Reply #15 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 11:19 AM

Moving this out of WC talk.

JcRabbit
Reply #16 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 11:52 AM

Hankers

Reduced 69%
Original 960 x 523

Uvah
Reply #17 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:40 PM

Island Dog

Moving this out of WC talk.

Probably a good idea.

DaveRI
Reply #18 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 1:45 PM

JuniorCrooks

that I can purchase online

Looking at those prices, which could be a bargain for all I know, that's a hobby I wouldn't start up.  Pretty fast burn rate on the ol' wallet.  Otherwise, "Do as ye will so as it harms none."

JuniorCrooks
Reply #19 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 2:54 PM

DaveRI

Quoting JuniorCrooks,

that I can purchase online

We are allowed to grow 3 plants in our home so there really is no need to buy online, those that do so are looking for the convenience of having it delivered to their door. I look at it as similar to alcohol as far as cost goes, beer is not cheap but I buy it occasionally.

DaveRI
Reply #20 Wednesday, October 17, 2018 3:41 PM

JuniorCrooks

We are allowed to grow 3 plants in our home

Canada's new "most popular" houseplant     Well, there you go, happy farming