Problems with "some" IconPackages not displaying properly ?

Make sure you do this first

Monday, April 2, 2018 by AceMatrix | Discussion: OS Customization

I've had a few messages sent my way indicating that a few people have a problem with a couple of my iconpackages not displaying as they should (i.e. some icons not showing in the iconpackager UI  etc.  )

Therefore I have created this graphical so that everyone who has had this problem can try this fix, then I don't have to keep addressing this problem individually. It may be the way that I packaged the download to begin with , but apparently some folks are getting it wrong. Hope this will help.     --- Ace ---

Iconpackage download and install graphic

Uvah
Reply #1 Monday, April 2, 2018 5:18 PM

I usually just look for the IP icon and click on it. Works for me.

AceMatrix
Reply #2 Monday, April 2, 2018 5:33 PM

It's a mystery to me as to why anyone should be having an issue. This is the only reason I could come up with as to why this could happen. Anything other than this and I have not a clue.

DaveBax
Reply #3 Monday, April 2, 2018 6:40 PM

I can't help with an answer as I never had a problem.

Maybe it's people that use an insider build of win10. Just saying as again have no idea. Hope its worked out for you Ace

AceMatrix
Reply #4 Monday, April 2, 2018 6:53 PM

Well , I know for a fact that it has nothing to do with my iconpackages. I suspect that it's issues with customers computers. Whether that be software they may be using, settings, caches, who knows. I offer this solution for them, but if it doesn't solve the issue, then they probably should investigate other avenues.

RedneckDude
Reply #5 Monday, April 2, 2018 6:56 PM

I don't understand why the Icon Packager trash bin doesn't refresh unless I click the desktop after dumping the bin. The DesktopX bin does, and the Windows bin does. IP bin doesn't.

DaveRI
Reply #6 Monday, April 2, 2018 8:52 PM

AceMatrix

other avenues

I'll offer this up in case it helps.  On Win10, using a Standard (Non-Admin) user (with UAC enabled as well),  I have to apply icon packages twice to get them applied:

1st time - Open up Icon Packager using the right-click "Run as Admin" option.  Apply the icon package and close Icon Packager. (This of course also changes the icons on the Admin user.)

2nd time - Open up Icon Packager normally.  Apply the icon package and close Icon Packager.

Don't know if that's what some people are running into, haven't seen anything about it, but that's how it works for me.

AceMatrix
Reply #7 Monday, April 2, 2018 9:41 PM

That's a mystery as well there, Jim. I've never had that happen on my computer.

RedneckDude
Reply #8 Monday, April 2, 2018 11:25 PM

Windows 10?

AceMatrix
Reply #9 Monday, April 2, 2018 11:46 PM

No Jim. I'm still using Windows7 . So , I'm assuming your problem occurs on Win10 ?  Hmmm...interesting.

DaveRI
Reply #10 Tuesday, April 3, 2018 12:17 AM

I'm not a big fan of saying "It works fine for me", but it does.

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Wednesday, April 4, 2018 10:20 AM

Yup Ace, Win 10.

RedneckDude
Reply #12 Wednesday, April 4, 2018 10:20 AM

I'm also seeing some packages not working well on Win 8.1. Mostly older ones.

AceMatrix
Reply #13 Wednesday, April 4, 2018 4:57 PM

An IconPackage itself is not a complicated or complex program, it's just a folder with a bunch of numbered images in it, nothing more , nothing less. I suspect that the "Package Builder" portion of the Stardock Iconpackager software is the culprit. It's still the same old portion of the program that was around from the WinXP configuration days and was not updated when the IconPackager software was updated.  I don't see how that portion of the software can possibly be completely compatible with the newer Windows Operating systems. I hope that Stardock will investigate this or at the very least, update the outdated "Package Builder" portion of the software.

AzDude
Reply #14 Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:14 PM

AceMatrix

Hello,

I have forwarded your report to the Stardock support team for their review and recommendations.
Please keep an eye on this thread for any updates.

We really do appreciate your feedback, thanks.