What Do You Do In Your 'Spare' Time?

Monday, October 23, 2017 by Jafo | Discussion: Life, the Universe and Everything

Having been an Official for MotoGP for 23 years someone decided I'd be suitable fodder to drive in the Riders' Parade last Sunday before the GrandPrix at Phillip Island [Australia]....

...so this is the one I drove... BMW M235i ...about 320hp 8 speed in-line 6 turbo ...bit 'wasted' when we were putting around at 50kph [30mph].

Fortunately it didn't rain during the parade so the roof was down [as it SHOULD be on a convertible] ...

So....

What do you do in that time no-one pays you for?

tetleytea
Reply #1 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 12:59 AM

WindowFX!  But not the Stardock kind.  Here:  http://www.totalhomefx.com/

Finding new ways to deck out the house and the costumes for Halloween.

RedneckDude
Reply #2 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 12:34 PM

I make wallpapers, test WBs for several people, and I DeeJay at line dances.

LightStar
Reply #3 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 1:26 PM

Well, as I am retired, all my time is spare time.  I design WB's is all and watch some T.V. ☺

DMF
Reply #4 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:28 PM

I'm retired too.  I play Galciv and sometimes World of Warships.  I was a SCCA race official for about a decade - track and pit marshall.  Even got to work the pits at the F1 race here in Dallas.

As far as makes go, I was Volvoman.  Now I am a Ford man.

Oh, and I grow hot peppers, though this year as been a disaster in that regard.

The rest of the time I yell at my cat and try to keep her from going completely bonkers from boredom.

Matchbook
Reply #5 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:22 PM

I pretend to know my way around Photoshop. Occasionally I belch out combinations of pixels that, I hope, have some kind of appeal to others. Sometimes it works.

I'm also an Operator on two crisis lines, here in BC.

ChungasRevenge
Reply #6 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:31 PM

I brew beer (all grain) - mainly Belgian styles although I have a mean Dark Stout for winter.

I play board games with mates.

I paint miniatures for various skirmish games.

I program computer games (as job and for hobby).

Apart from that I have a growing family who keep me busy, competitive swimming, piano, guitar, drums, hip hop you name it

LightStar
Reply #7 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:40 PM

Some people mentioning car brands, and although I am not a car enthusiast, I have owned MG's (an MGB GT and an MG Midget), a Fiat 1500 Cabriolet, a 1973 Dodge Challenger, two Corvette's (a 1964 Convertible and a 1967 Coupe), and a 2010 Camaro (Transformers Bumblebee look alike). They were all great cars, but now I am going green (because we ALL need to) and I drive a 2012 Chevrolet Volt. I buy gas maybe 3-4 times a year for it.

Matchbook
Reply #8 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:45 PM

LightStar

I buy gas maybe 3-4 times a year for it.

Nice.

tetleytea
Reply #9 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 5:50 PM

You liking the Volt?  I got offered a decent deal on an older model a couple years back.  Now that would be a fun spare-time activity:  working on EV's.  And finding creative uses for aged LiIon batteries.

I wish I had known about that BC crisis hotline after Game 5 of the NLCS.  I needed it.

LightStar
Reply #10 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:06 PM

tetleytea

I love my Chevrolet Volt! They are saying it may be discontinued in 2020 though because no one cares enough about this planet to buy it. Everyone is buying stupid big SUV's and gas guzzlers/atmosphere polluters But soon they will have to change their minds, as a lot, and I do mean a lot of automobile manufacturers will only be designing hybrid or pure electric cars soon. Even China and several other countries have said they will ban all gas/diesel driven vehicles by 2040. But of course, the USA is not actively doing anything about saving this planet.

tetleytea
Reply #11 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:13 PM

Saving the planet shouldn't even be a necessary selling point.  EV's have a faster zero-to-60 than gas guzzlers.  You can stick an inverter on the batteries and power the house with it.

Jafo
Reply #12 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:32 PM

Of course, Motor Race Officiating isn't the only past-time.....I also build up bikes - having 12 currently.

This is the newest, bought as a frame-set for $1700 AUD [which included the bag and the rims].  A few weeks and numerous purchases from around the globe and it's done.  An example of 'around the globe'....the gear levers came from Poland....and the Brake levers came from Hungary.....

LightStar
Reply #13 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:36 PM

tetleytea

Yep, just another good thing about them!

LightStar
Reply #14 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 6:37 PM

Reduced 85%
Original 816 x 612

Wow Paul, cool bike!

DMF
Reply #15 Tuesday, October 24, 2017 11:46 PM

LightStar

You might want to rethink that solution.  Electricity doesn't come out of the ground.  Someone has to generate it.  Unless you are also pushing nuke power that means that someone is burning the deadly fossil fuels to make your nice clean electricity.  I understand that the average electric car has a larger global carbon footprint that the average gasoline vehicle.

Now, China has special problems with local pollution, and electric cars move the emissions outside the city.

Out of sight, out of mind.

DMF
Reply #16 Wednesday, October 25, 2017 12:03 AM

I also ride when I can.  Here's the sale pic for my current road bike.  I've been off it for a couple years due to health issues, but I'm working on being able to ride again soon.

Raleigh Professional

I also restore bikes.  Is there some way to upload pics here?  I don't use the death-dealing hosting sites if I can help it.

gmc2
Reply #17 Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:55 AM

Very cool Paul, bout time they rewarded your years of volunteering.

I'm retired as well. Work on windowblinds daily but need to have netflix playing half screen to take up the slack time.

My wife (sweet woman that she is) works from home so I'm the house daddy, cleaning, cooking, yard work, etc.

I try to spend time with me 16 yer old son but he's usually on the computer. He has his learner's permit and we make time for him to spend time on the road. I enjoy doing this and he's, so far, a responsible driver. He has all of his hours in, just waiting for his year to be over to move to the next level.

RedneckDude
Reply #18 Wednesday, October 25, 2017 8:12 AM

Oh, and did I mention that I build and sell computers?  Well, I build and TRY to sell...lol.

tetleytea
Reply #19 Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:14 AM

Even better, you're in NE Tennessee.  An amazing part of the country.  Time to go white watering the Ocoee!   Or even better, it's about that time of year to run the New River.   I think early November is when they open the dams up.

sureshot106
Reply #20 Wednesday, October 25, 2017 11:23 AM

I belong to a pistol club and I reload my own ammunition.