How things use to be

Friday, April 17, 2015 by fooshniken | Discussion: Life, the Universe and Everything

Wizard1956
Reply #1 Friday, April 17, 2015 10:41 AM

If you are going to link to a lame, poorly drawn article, the LEAST you could do is give a working link.

Good grief.

moshi
Reply #2 Friday, April 17, 2015 12:24 PM

Windows auto correct? age? but if you really want a "working king": this is the king of the Ewe, he is also a mechanic in Germany

Wizard1956

If you are going to link to a lame, poorly drawn article, the LEAST you could do is give a working king.    Good grief.

Wizard1956
Reply #3 Friday, April 17, 2015 12:45 PM

Dammit, ya caught me before I could edit. + kp for you. <

starkers
Reply #4 Friday, April 17, 2015 11:08 PM

How things used to be and never will be again... unless a massive EMP takes out the internet and renders all mobile phones and computers useless.

While I love some of what modern tech has brought us, I also miss the days of my youth, when things were so much simpler and less complicated, when the greatest innovation in technology was going from B & W TV to colour.... when you could walk around the shopping centre without tripping over fools who can't put their phones down for 5 seconds to deal with real life.

The other day I had to pick up a few things from the local shopping complex and was gobsmacked at just how many people were walking around with their heads firmly ensconced in what they were doing on their cell phones.  I kept sidestepping to avoid them but..... but that shouldn't be how it is, especially when I had to avoid colliding with one certain individual at least 4 - 5 times.

In the end I just stood my ground [didn't ram him with the shopping trolley cos I didn't want to risk having him in with my groceries] and he ended up on his backside cussing: "Now look what you ****** made me ******** well do.  Now I gotta start that level all over again."  So it wasn't like he was replying to a 'must answer' text.  No, just playing some half-assed game and causing other shopping patrons havoc.

Hmmm, the things you'd like to do... but for CCTV.

Heavenfall
Reply #5 Saturday, April 18, 2015 6:18 AM

If you got young ones do yourself a favor and do NOT stick a mobile/tablet in their face every time you need some quiet time. And if you do, at least put on a documentary about animals or something.

WOM
Reply #6 Saturday, April 18, 2015 8:28 AM

I remember sitting on the fender with my legs inside by the engine and doing all the work on it.  Machines and do dads working for a lifetime.  Yeah, the good old days.(I have a CONAIR PRO BABY hair dryer that's 30-40 years old and it still works).

starkers
Reply #7 Saturday, April 18, 2015 9:42 AM

That's nothing, I have an old fob watch of my grandfather's that's 70 - 80 years old.... or maybe even more.  It still doesn't work, but every time I look at it I'm reminded of why a bricklayer should never open a watch to see what makes it tick.

I keep it because it's the only thing I have of his, but what is amazing about it is that it didn't require a battery to keep it going.  Yup, it's an old wind up watch, the type that is so hard to find these days.  So yeah, it has sentimental and nostalgic value to me.

Jafo
Reply #8 Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:39 PM

I have a digital watch that pre-dates LCD.  It's LED dates from about '74 ...still works...

starkers
Reply #9 Sunday, April 19, 2015 11:41 PM

My first digital watch was from about that period... give or take... had a whole heap of functions apart from telling time.  Don't have mine anymore, though.  It got busted up during a removal one day and wasn't worth repairing or keeping.... not like my grandfather's fob watch.  I keep it for sentimental reasons, and it will keep time for an hour or so.... sometimes, but like the watchmaker said when I enquired abour repairing it, the cost would not be warranted for a 10 bob watch, which is probably what it cost my grandfather back in the day.

Apparently, several new parts would have to be machined to restore it to complete functionality, and at the time, being a sole parent with two growing kids to feed and clothe, etc,  I simply didn't have the cash.  Thing is, now it's just me, maybe it's a future project, like after my next PC build, perhaps.

Jafo
Reply #10 Monday, April 20, 2015 12:53 AM

I have a grandfather's fob watch somewhere...last I checked it still worked just fine...

starkers
Reply #11 Monday, April 20, 2015 2:57 AM

My grandfather's fob watch would probably still work... 'cept he took it apart one time to 'so-say' fix it.  It never worked properly again.  Occasionally I can wind it up and it'll run for a short while if I'm lucky, but it can't keep proper time even then.  It'll run fast then slow then stop...to almost never go again.  I could pick it up a year later and wind it several times without success... it just unwinds itself somehow but the hands remain motionless.  Then I could pick it up a month later thinking it won't go and it does.

Yeah, go figure!  It's the most temperamental thing, but I'll not part with it.

MadDeez
Reply #12 Monday, April 20, 2015 6:17 AM

I have a CONAIR PRO BABY hair dryer that's 30-40 years old and it still works).

but do you still have hair? i don't know, mike. i'm just asking.

starkers
Reply #13 Monday, April 20, 2015 7:27 AM

MadDeez

Quoting WOM,

I have a CONAIR PRO BABY hair dryer that's 30-40 years old and it still works).

but do you still have hair? i don't know, mike. i'm just asking.

Or like my grandfather used to say: "I don't want to know, I was only asking."