Life after Windows 7

Windows 8 customizing

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 by gef | Discussion: OS Customization

As some of you will know, I am not without a certain knowledge of customising. I am now wondering if it is worth continuing to do so if the Windows 8 set up remains similar to it's present state, that is with irregular rectangles covering the whole desktop.

I can see there may be some use if you are using a touch screen, although with a computer, I fail to see how this is of any use whatsoever.

Also, the apps for Windows 8 are the worst I have seen! Windows 8 is Apple's best advert.

To this, I would be interested to see any windows 8 customized desktops.

Finally, all I can say is why not upgrade to Windows 7 ?

teddybearcholla
Reply #1 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 7:42 AM

I think everyone is still sleeping!    ...btw I love my windows7!

WOM
Reply #2 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:28 AM

Am also a W7 user and will not go to W8.

BigDogBigFeet
Reply #3 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:50 AM

Hi gef,

Long time no see.  Do you still have a library fo your cutomization work posted anywhere?

I would love to take a look.

gef
Reply #4 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:58 AM

Sorry but not anymore, only for my own amusement.

Chasbo
Reply #5 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:22 AM

I see no point in a touch screen while I am sitting at my desk. I often use my PC to work from home and Win8 would be pointless in this regard. My daughter has it on her rig and she always uses the keyboard and mouse. She would rather have Win7.

As far as customizing it looks like Stardock is trying to go there with 8 and I see that some WB's are now made for 7 and 8 but I wouldn't know how that is working out.

I'll be using Win7 for quite some time I think. When it comes time for a new rig I hope that Microsoft will have something better than 8 going on. P

ElanaAhova
Reply #6 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:39 AM

Win 7 until they stop support

Phoon
Reply #7 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:48 AM

The next version of Windows is going to have a combination of legacy start menu and tiles. It looks pretty nice from what I've seen.

Currently, yeah you have to take a step backwards with your start menu to get a windowblinds to skin it. I sincerely hope this will cease when MS changes the start menu system.

RedneckDude
Reply #8 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:29 AM

Gef, you're a tad late. This topic has been beaten to death.

But for the record, all my skinning is done on Windows 8.1 these days.

gef
Reply #9 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:57 AM

RedneckDude, you say you do your skinning on 8.1 but is that used on 8.1 or 7 ?

I still have not seen a Windows 8 customised desktop. Do you know of any?

Philly0381
Reply #10 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:20 AM

gef, I believe I have seen customized Windows 8/8.1 Desktops, meaning the old familar Desktop and not the Metro/Modern screen that I think you are talking about.  I don't think much can be done with that.

Tattyhat
Reply #11 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:10 PM

I will go over to Linux before I would touch windows 8.

LightStar
Reply #12 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:20 PM

Gef, take a look at any of my latest WB's, what you see in the screenshot is Windows 7, and looks almost exactly the same on Windows 8.1. With the right customization software, Start 8 in particular, and a program called OldNewExplorer that converts the explorer window back to the look of Windows 7, you can make Windows 8/8.1 look great.

Uvah
Reply #13 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:30 PM

I just realized something......I still have a Windows XP Pro disk. I wonder how much I can get for it. Lol

gef
Reply #14 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:36 PM

Lightstar,  yes, I agree the windows will look the same, it's the actual desktop I'm referring to.

With windows 8, you cannot even have a decent wallpaper unless it's obliterated by the 'tiles'.

gef
Reply #15 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:39 PM

Utah, It's certainly worth more than a windows 8 disc !

gef
Reply #16 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:40 PM

Oops, damn predictive texting, I meant Uvah  -  Sorry.

Daiwa
Reply #17 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:31 PM

ElanaAhova
Win 7 until they stop support

That'll be 2020, barring unexpected developments.

Philly0381
Reply #18 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:37 PM

gef, most people when the still refer to the Desktop they are meaning what was the normal Desktop we had in XP, Vista and Windows 7.  I think what you are referring to is I believe what is called the Start Screen in Windows 8/8.1.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

LightStar
Reply #19 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:47 PM

Uhmmm, I am a little confused on this Gef, I can apply any wallpaper want and I never see the Modern UI tiles of Windows 8. When I boot up it is exactly the same as Windows 7, with Start 8 it goes straight to the desktop.

gef
Reply #20 Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:57 PM

Best way I can explain is by saying, when you turn your computer on, without doing anything else, I call that the desktop.

With Windows 8, you just see a set of boring tiles.

With windows 7, you see a lovingly created scene with all your bits and pieces of customization.

I know which one I prefer.