The demise of a glacier

Saturday, July 20, 2013 by Fuzzy Logic | Discussion: Life, the Universe and Everything

I've been visiting Austria for many years and one of my favourite places is Grossglockner. Apart from the mountain itself, the highest in Austria, one of the main features there is the Pasterze glacier. Sadly in recent times it hase been retreating at an alarming rate.

Here's some photos I've taken of the glacier. The first was in 2005 and the second was taken last week. For scale I've added a close-up of the 2013 with arrows pointing to people. When you look at the size of the people compared to the glacier, the shrinkage is staggering.

II just wonder if on my next visit there it will have gone altogether

DPCloud
Reply #1 Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:25 PM

In the words of my generation, that sucks! I've heard that all that fresh water going into the sea will disrupt a certain current and bring about the next ice age but I'm rooting for the zombie Apocalypse.

teddybearcholla
Reply #2 Saturday, July 20, 2013 3:47 PM

... possibly not gone, but surely it will have retreated more.    In 1992, I had the greatest pleasure to hike to Angel Wing Glacier( Mt. Edith Cavell, in the Canadian Rockies) and it was breathtaking.  I've read that 90% of the worlds glaciers have been retreating since the 1970's.  So it is not just a localized condition. Knowing that glaciers grow and retreat normally, but the fact  that most are just retreating...is frightening and sad.

WebGizmos
Reply #3 Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:21 PM

I just wonder if on my next visit there it will have gone altogether

More than likely I'm afraid Fuzzy....and this isn't the only one it's happening to.

Philly0381
Reply #4 Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:45 PM

Just some of the constant changes Earth has gone through since it's been a planet.  Humans have only been around to physcially record the events for a very, very short time, Earth though has keep records from the beginning, just need to look for them.

Uvah
Reply #5 Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:35 PM

Got this from Google images. Jpeg's name is Top of Iceberg. Recently one broke off from Antarctica. They say it's bigger than the city of Chicago. Maybe this is downtown. lol

c242
Reply #7 Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:15 PM

Fuzzy, I have been there as a child in the mid 70s and I am quite sure, it was even much bigger then... Have to find photos at my parents house...

Reply #8 Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:28 PM

So glad I got to see the Mendenhall Glacier in Alaska...before it too, disappears.

Unforgettable sight: Orcas, whales and calving glaciers.