SkinStudio v7.4 Installation Issues

Thursday, December 20, 2012 by LightStar | Discussion: OS Customization

Just did an update to SkinStudio v7.4 as reported through Stardock Central this morning and had several installation issues.

After installation I noticed that when running it, the About box still said v7.3.  So I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop and noticed that there were two folders, one that said just 'SkinStudio' and another that said 'SkinStudio7'. My OD shortcut was set to the old 'SkinStudio7' folder so I had to change it to the new installs executable in the 'SkinStudio' folder. Why the change in folder names and why did it not automatically uninstall the old version?  I corrected things and just deleted the old folder manually and ran my registry cleaners.

Also, the install created some links in all programs that I had to manually delete also, one of them was "activate", one was "deelevate", and the other was called "sks_post". Were these intentional? The new install also forced me to enter my OD Subscription key again even though SKS was already registered.

Also, why was the issue of not being able to pin SKS to the taskbar or start menu in Windows 7 not fixed?

Also, why was the issue of retaining old skin image and file names when you do a 'Save as' not fixed.  For instance, I just did a save as on my Classy skin, and when I go into the newly created skins folder, just about all the file names still have the word "Classy" in them and they did not change over to the new skins file name.

Also, why is there nowhere to see a list of changes for the new SKS v7.4? I can't see anything different at all, same bugs as in v7.3 everywhere too.

My OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

gmc2
Reply #1 Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:05 PM

sh!t Tom, echo, echo. thought it did okay but my link opens up to 7.3 also.

edit: I have three skinstudio programs listed in my programs, can I delete the other two???

LightStar
Reply #2 Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:21 PM

Probably best to uninstall SKS, then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Stardock\Object Desktop (if Windows 7) and delete any folders named SkinStudio. Then run a registry cleaner, reboot, and reinstall the latest SKS.

Edit:  Oh, and after uninstalling if there are any SkinStudio entries left over in all programs, delete them before running your registry cleaner.

Reply #3 Thursday, December 20, 2012 12:32 PM

^ That.

ZubaZ
Reply #4 Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:08 PM

We've rolled back to the last known-good build.  Sorry.

Should have the new build up again early next year.

LightStar
Reply #5 Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:11 PM

Well, if we've upgraded I guess we should uninstall and go back to the prior version then Zu?

Reply #6 Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:19 PM

^ That. Yes.

LightStar
Reply #7 Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:31 PM

OK, back to v7.3 then here, just had to reverse the process in my OP. I hope all the bugs I mentioned and stuff are fixed when the next version is really released.