One More Reason To Dislike Windows 8

This is just too much.....

Thursday, October 18, 2012 by RedneckDude | Discussion: Windows Discussion

Ok, anyone running Windows 8 on more than one rig, feel free to chime in.

I have Windows 8 on my main rig (dual boot with 7).

I have Windows 8 on my laptop (dual boot with 7).

If I'm logged into both at the same time, weirdness.....

I set a wallpaper and taskbar color on one, the other changes to match.  Now, since I run 3 monitors on my main rig, this really screws with my laptop.

I'm sure it has to do with logging on to both rigs with the same live.com account.

But surely this isn't supposed to do this?

Anyone else able to reproduce this?

Snowman
Reply #1 Friday, October 19, 2012 2:25 AM

Most likely.

But surely this isn't supposed to do this?

If it's somehow set to auto-sync, then yes, it is.

I wouldn't know if that's an available option with Live accounts. I haven't used the crappy shit in years.

LightStar
Reply #2 Friday, October 19, 2012 8:00 AM

I tel you what, if it ever does this to me I am wiping out Windows 8 and never even looking at it again.  I put it on my netbook, (with Start 8 of course) and to tell you the truth it has absolutely no advantages whatsoever over Windows 7... none, notta, zip! It is not even faster to me, so I really think Windows 8 will just die a quick death in the market. I sometimes just cannot understand the mentality of Microsoft. They seem like a bunch of idiots at times. No common sense with business at all.

But then again, trying making a 'quick buck' without looking to the future first seems to be a common business practice nowadays everywhere.

ZubaZ
Reply #3 Friday, October 19, 2012 9:28 AM

You can change this behaviour.  Just search for the sync settings.

RedneckDude
Reply #4 Friday, October 19, 2012 10:15 AM

Dang, Zubaz, there's hope for you yet.....

Thnaks!!

SDockUser
Reply #5 Friday, October 26, 2012 5:38 PM

...this is actually one of the advertised features for Windows 8, a lot of people are looking forward to synching their settings between their devices.  Bill Gates was talking about it a few days ago.  It's what it's designed to do... if you don't want that, as Zubaz said, you will need to disable synching.

VistArtXPosed
Reply #6 Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:44 PM

Nobody should take Windows 8 seriously.  Why would anybody replace Windows 7 with 8?  If anything, 8 should be treated as an experimental, secondary OS installed on a secondary drive on a secondary machine.  If you want to get any REAL work done, stick with Win7.  I'd rather stick with Vista at this point over Windows 8 if I had to choose between those two; at least Vista still had the familiar UI we're all used to using. (Not to mention WB skinning, which is non-existent in Win8).

IMO: Windows 7>XP>Vista>8.

RedneckDude
Reply #7 Thursday, November 1, 2012 3:42 PM

SDockUser
...this is actually one of the advertised features for Windows 8, a lot of people are looking forward to synching their settings between their devices. Bill Gates was talking about it a few days ago. It's what it's designed to do...

It would be a nice feature if it weren't for the fact that many people have multiple monitors. When synching with a tablet, or a laptop, with only one screen, you get a messed up looking desktop (wallpaper, etc.).

CarGuy1
Reply #8 Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:26 PM

I just found a nice feature that I was unaware of.

Windows 8 has Virtual drive capabilities built in. This allows you to double click on an ISO file and it will mount it as a drive, which just made loading Office a breeze.

The more I use it, the better I like it. I loaded it on my laptop and it's been a great OS so far. It even handles the switchable graphics without an issue.

The drivers for Win7 had a bit of a problem switching between the Intel HD3000 and the ATI Radeon video chips in this machine so it would crash every so often with an error 41. It happened from the first day I had it and I went through 3 machines trying to fix it before I gave up. Since I loaded Win8 it's been rock solid...not one crash so far.

For me, the price of the Win8 update is the best $14.99 that I've ever spent.

starkers
Reply #9 Friday, November 2, 2012 4:21 AM

CarGuy1
I just found a nice feature that I was unaware of.

Windows 8 has Virtual drive capabilities built in. This allows you to double click on an ISO file and it will mount it as a drive, which just made loading Office a breeze.

I read about this feature before Win 8 was released, even as a preview, and it excited me that this would be a built-in ability.  I've used it a couple of times now and it really does simplify ISO management.  Before I always had to load a 3rd party ISO tool and the only decent ones were pay for, so now I don't have to worry about forking over or getting crap tools.

Yeah, the more I use Win 8 the more I'm getting to like it.   I've had it installed on my primary machine for a week now, no dual booting Win 7 as an easy go back to, and I'm feeling quite comfortable with it, like not much different to using Win 7.

At first, I thought you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to use Win 8, but really, had that been the case, the tantrum would have been unnecessary.  Even Metro [not supposed to call it that anymore], which at first I thought was a pain in the arse, isn't too bad once you get used to it.  While it certainly could do to be a lot more customisable, I have all my apps and shortcuts loaded in Metro and I find myself going to it more and more frequently as I use this new OS.

RedneckDude
Reply #10 Friday, November 2, 2012 3:52 PM

starkers

Agreed.

starkers
Reply #11 Friday, November 2, 2012 7:00 PM

RedneckDude

Quoting starkers, reply 9So, for all there is... er, was to dislike about Win 8, most of it unfounded, there is a lot to like about it.

Agreed.

WOW!!!  Somebody agreed with me!!

Okay, so I'm gonna take a screenshot of this... for nostalgia sake...  and to prove it once happened.

Yeah, I've been so engrossed in using/setting up Win 8 to how I like it, I've not bothered to install win 7 on my upstairs rig as yet.  I mean, there's no hurry to do that, and I will get aroud to it, but probably in the latter half of next week when I've a bit more spare time.  I have a bit of yard work and stuff too around the place first, and I have my mother coming to stay for a few days before she scoots off the UK again for another visit.

Anyhow, I've been to the app store for a few handy items and have set up Metro to be quite useful with various apps and links to the various places I frequent, like Wikipedia, etc.  I have my tiles set up in categories to make searching for stuff easier and the interface more functional, so all in all, it is working out quite well.  I mean, I still boot directly to the desktop and spend the majority of my time there, but it's just as easy to click on the Metro button as it is the regular start button when I want to find things.

Now I'm just waiting on Stardock to release a Win 8 compatible version of Windowblinds... then I'll be as happy as a pig in a poke, though I am hoping Neil and the crew are working on an app to customize the Metro interface, because it's in serious need of some Stardock loving.

Philly0381
Reply #12 Friday, November 2, 2012 7:31 PM

I just can not believe what I'm reading, folks who saw no need of upgrading to Windows 8 when it first was being discussed are now whistling a different tune, much like a politician does when they are looking for votes for reelection.

That being said, time will tell if the rest of us, including myself, will wind up doing the same thing.  I wonder if any advanced peeks for Windows 9 are ready?

DaveRI
Reply #13 Friday, November 2, 2012 7:46 PM

I'm just glad to see they don't hate it - I'll probably end up with it in a year or so just because of timing.

kkunderwood
Reply #14 Friday, November 2, 2012 7:51 PM

After running the Windows Upgrade Assistant, I find I could live without a most of the incompatibilities. However, the real game breaker is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind incompatibility. Yes, this game was released in 2002, but it is still one of my favorites and runs fine under Windows 7. So, for me, Windows 8 won't happen!

Jafo
Reply #15 Friday, November 2, 2012 7:56 PM

After running the Windows Upgrade Assistant, I find I could live without a most of the incompatibilities. However, the real game breaker is The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind incompatibility. Yes, this game was released in 2002, but it is still one of my favorites and runs fine under Windows 7. So, for me, Windows 8 won't happen!

Have you tried to get it working?

One way or another I've managed to run Terra Nova in Win7 ....and that's a little older than 2002.....1996, actually....

kkunderwood
Reply #16 Friday, November 2, 2012 8:07 PM

Thanks Jafo for your response. Did the Windows Upgrade Assistant (WUA) claim that Terra Nova would run under Windows 8? I have no problem with Morrowind running under Windows 7, but the WUA states that it is incompatible with Windows 8. Since it is very unlikely that Bethesda would release a Morrowind update for Windows 8, I am unwilling to even try to upgrade.

starkers
Reply #17 Friday, November 2, 2012 8:26 PM

Philly0381
I just can not believe what I'm reading, folks who saw no need of upgrading to Windows 8 when it first was being discussed are now whistling a different tune, much like a politician does when they are looking for votes for reelection.

What are you trying to say here... that there's a whole load of backpedaling going on?

True, I didn't like the look of Win 8 to begin with, and Metro was largely responsible for that, but then I got to thinking about getting left behind if I didn't give it a try, and the $39.99 price tag convinced me there was no time like the present.  And to be honest, I'm glad that I did. It is fast, it is stable, it is quite easy to use once you get past that initial breaking in period.  Yeah, there's a period of adjustment, as there is with anything new, but it's not that long and there's nothing to fear, honestly.

DaveRI

Dave, the $39.99 deal ends in January, so if you're thinking you'll likely upgrade sometime, would it not be best to grab a copy now, while it still is at the lower price?  Once the deal is over, and that's for the Pro version, I reckon you'd be looking at around $600 for a full retail copy, and I know which price I'd rather be paying.  In fact, I'm getting another 2 copies, one for Shaunna and another to put on a tablet.

CarGuy1
Reply #18 Friday, November 2, 2012 8:40 PM

Hey guys, it's even cheaper if you bought a Win 7 PC in the past year. If you have, there's a good chance you will qualify for a $14.99 upgrade.

Jafo
Reply #19 Friday, November 2, 2012 8:59 PM

Hardly....WUA would be unlikely to even know what Terra Nova was....it's a Dos game.  If I can get it to run on a Win 7 machine I see no reason it cannot also run on an 8.

Ignore WUA.  There are always ways....such as DosBox, etc...

DaveRI
Reply #20 Friday, November 2, 2012 9:41 PM

starkers
would it not be best to grab a copy now

Could happen, trust me.