How do I change Firefox file icons?

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 by LizMarr | Discussion: Icons

This will probably be one of those topics discussed yesterday but I missed it.

I have files with extension URL that have a Firefox/paper icon. I have told Icon Packager what icon I want it to be. No changes. So I manually changed it on each link. How/where do I find the place to tell Firefox that I want to use my own icons? I hate it when a program hijacks something.

Wizard1956
Reply #1 Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:36 PM

I would PM frankell

He is a long time user of OD with FireFox. If anyone would know, he would. You might want to look in his gallery for some cool FF icons, if you haven't already.

starkers
Reply #2 Saturday, August 11, 2012 5:20 PM

Hey Liz, I found that when icons couldn't/wouldn't be changed any other way, going directly to the proggie's folder in ALL Programs and changing the original rather than the shortcut usually worked.  Give that a try and best of luck.

AceMatrix
Reply #3 Saturday, August 11, 2012 9:55 PM

This is what I have been using for a couple years. It's easy and extremely reliable, and best of all, it's completely free !!

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html             -- Ace --

LizMarr
Reply #4 Saturday, August 11, 2012 11:01 PM

Silly icon is one of the ones in the exe file. But it sure is ugly. I thought about dis-associating the beastie, let it see how that feels.

I supposed it wasn't clear that I am using IconPackager to make assignments to the different file types.

AceMatrix
Reply #5 Saturday, August 11, 2012 11:10 PM

LizMarr

You got me there Liz.....I have not a clue what you are talking about ...LOL ! It must be our language differences ..LOL !

by the way, I could make a custom icon replacement for whatever it is that you think is ugly and email it to you. Let me know if your interested.   -- Ace --

frankell
Reply #6 Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:27 AM

oops, i was late as I missed this post, well I customized my Firefox icons directly opening Firefox .exe with Resources Hacker

expand the Icon Group tree, check 2(1033) , click on Action > replace icon and in the end click on File > Save

hope this helps (or not if IconPackager is set to overwrite the Firefox icons and sorry I don't use IconPackager)

LizMarr
Reply #7 Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:44 AM

Sounds a bit like what might need to happen. Such a bother. Maybe I can make so it isn't the program to open URL and see if that works. I think that I can use a different icon for HTML. Now I need to look at that. I noticed URL because I had a couple of web site shortcuts on my desk during the Olympics (gone now)