May 20, 2012 Annular Solar Eclipse
Saturday, May 19, 2012 by LizMarr | Discussion: Pets & Nature
All photos linked from articles that are public domain or similar.
May 20, 2012 is an annular total solar eclipse. The last visible in the US was 18 years ago, the next will be 14 years from now. The path takes it right over the USA and I guess people living in Oz with have a good view too. I live in Oregon, of course it is going to rain. There are some wonderful articles about the phenomenon and how to observe it safely. I remember as a little girl turning my back to the sun and holding out a white piece of paper in front of me so I could see the shadow. Works really well. Bellow is a picture and some links.
An annular solar eclipse will take place on May 20, 2012 (May 21, 2012 for local time in Eastern Hemisphere), with a magnitude of 0.9439. A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between Earth and the Sun, thereby totally or partially obscuring the image of the Sun for a viewer on Earth. An annular solar eclipse occurs when the Moon's apparent diameter is smaller than the Sun, causing the Sun to look like an annulus (ring), blocking most of the Sun's light. An annular eclipse appears as a partial eclipse over a region thousands of kilometres wide. (Wilipedia)
- Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_May_20,_2012
- May 20, 2012 Annular Solar Eclipse (Night Sky) http://www.nightskyinfo.com/sky_highlights/annular_eclipse_may20
- Hinode Mission to Capture Annular Solar Eclipse This Weekend (NASA) http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunearth/news/eclipse-2012.html
- Annular Solar Eclipse of 2012 May 20 (NASA) http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEgoogle/SEgoogle2001/SE2012May20Agoogle.html
- Annular Solar Eclipse of May 20: Complete Coverage (Space.com) http://tinyurl.com/7ewwbyl
I guess it's going to rain... sigh
Please login to comment and/or vote for this skin.
Welcome Guest! Please take the time to register with us.
There are many great features available to you once you register, including:
- Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the forums and downloading skins.
- Access to a great community, with a massive database of many, many areas of interest.
- Access to contests & subscription offers like exclusive emails.
- It's simple, and FREE!