Of course it's going to rain... [Annular Solar Eclipse]

May 20, 2012 Annular Solar Eclipse

Saturday, May 19, 2012 by LizMarr | Discussion: Pets & Nature

All photos linked from articles that are public domain or similar.

May 20, 2012 is an annular total solar eclipse. The last visible in the US was 18 years ago, the next will be 14 years from now. The path takes it right over the USA and I guess people living in Oz with have a good view too. I live in Oregon, of course it is going to rain. There are some wonderful articles about the phenomenon and how to observe it safely. I remember as a little girl turning my back to the sun and holding out a white piece of paper in front of me so I could see the shadow. Works really well. Bellow is a picture and some links.

An annular solar eclipse will take place on May 20, 2012 (May 21, 2012 for local time in Eastern Hemisphere), with a magnitude of 0.9439. A solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between Earth and the Sun, thereby totally or partially obscuring the image of the Sun for a viewer on Earth. An annular solar eclipse occurs when the Moon's apparent diameter is smaller than the Sun, causing the Sun to look like an annulus (ring), blocking most of the Sun's light. An annular eclipse appears as a partial eclipse over a region thousands of kilometres wide. (Wilipedia)

I guess it's going to rain... sigh

LizMarr
Reply #1 Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:28 AM
Wizard1956
Reply #2 Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:41 AM

Really cool,thanks for the link.

I wasn't aware one was coming. It's not good for an old Wiz like me to have things go slowly dark without warning.

Philly0381
Reply #3 Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:42 AM

Wow, right over Albuquerque, that's where I am.

Hope I am able to stay up to see it, us old folks need are rest and sleep.

BoXXi
Reply #4 Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:42 AM

Cool......

LizMarr
Reply #5 Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:46 AM

Philly0381
Wow, right over Albuquerque, that's where I am.

Hope I am able to stay up to see it, us old folks need are rest and sleep.

It's a SOLAR eclipse, that means you gotta be up early instead of sleep in.  Check those pages, they have the time you need to be awake at. You probably won't have rain.

Philly0381
Reply #6 Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:49 AM

[quote who="LizMarr" reply="5" id="3157124"]Quoting Philly0381, reply 3Wow, right over Albuquerque, that's where I am.

Hope I am able to stay up to see it, us old folks need are rest and sleep.

[/quote

We've had rain forecasted for the last several weeks and haven't had any, current forecast doesn't call for rain............I'm usually not a betting person but....

Since you can't look at it directly, I'll watch it on the news when I wake up.

tetleytea
Reply #7 Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:12 PM

It's passing right over Area 51.     Ooooooooh.   I wonder what the sun is REALLY up to?

Uvah
Reply #8 Saturday, May 19, 2012 12:34 PM

I've seen both solar and lunar eclipses. Can't remember the last time one was seen on the east coast though.

harpo99999
Reply #10 Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:05 PM

lizmarr, if you look at the left pic of the predicted path of the viewable areas for the eclipse then you will see that japan/china/korea can see it , BUT australia will not we are too far south, but I remember seeing the solar eclipse in the late 60's /early 70's.

harpo

Big Fat Daddy
Reply #11 Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:26 AM

Great article.  Thanks for the info, up here in the colorful state we probably won't be able to see much, but I'll be lookin'....

RedneckDude
Reply #12 Sunday, May 20, 2012 12:03 PM

Philly0381
us old folks need are rest and sleep.

Philly0381
Reply #13 Sunday, May 20, 2012 12:06 PM

I got up at 8:30 am, did I miss it?