beyond frustrated with weather widgets

i just want the damn thing to work

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 by datdeanna | Discussion: DesktopX Tutorials

I pay yearly for my subscription but the better part of the last 2 years I have been unable to utilize DesktopX because of the weather widget malfuntion. I don't have time to find solutions to a problem that should not be mine. I don't have enough time to learn the software on my own to do list, this is why I pay for a subscription. NONE of my emails to authors have EVER been answered when I have asked for help on this. I couldhave swore that I read that all the skins, etc were required to be updated with the appropriate fix to/for the weather widget. This is not the case. I don't have time to learn scripting language and quite frankly do not feel as I should have to. My subscription is up for renewal, the answer to this post is what I will base my decision to renew or not on.

Much thanks,

DeAnna

Nimbin
Reply #1 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:02 AM

i don't blame you for feeling frustrated DeAnna, While i cannot speak for the people who create these widgets or for stardock in any way. Can i offer an alternative?. I use yahoo widgets for my weather and it works perfectly. There are 100's of different designs to choose from. You must install the yahoo widget client in order for these to work. it's up to you but it is an alternative . I am very sorry to hear of the problems you are having with the desktopx weather widgets. This is the reason i stopped using desktopx widgets myself. Good luck

chuckve4
Reply #2 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:29 AM

I would like to see a fix too, but a fix is probably beyond Stardosk's control. They can't ban a user for not updating a skin they made 2 or more years ago and copyright infringement prevents Stardock from updating widgets themselves. At least new weather widgets work and thier are alot of options: Windows gadgets, Yahoo widgets, SysMetrix, and Rainlmeter.

My frustration is the Impulse sell out. One of the most appealing elements of Object Desktop is the easy software management. Instillation and updates were a simple 1-Click (update all process), but now I need to make a list of version numbers and compare it to my list of registered software. Download the software, install the software, and provide my own support if there is a problem. Impulse updates took just a few seconds of my time, and now they are a chore.

Island Dog
Reply #3 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:01 AM

The issue with DesktopX weather widgets was based on a licensing issue with one of the service providers.  This is something beyond control for WinCustomize, and really has nothing to do with the subscription we offer.

Solutions for scripts were offered by the community and many people have updated their skins, but there are hundreds, maybe thousands of them in the galleries from people who no longer maintain them.  We can't require anyone to update an older skin.

GregII
Reply #4 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:06 AM

Use Rainmeter.

Philly0381
Reply #5 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:14 AM

All the current Weather Widgets that are being uploaded to the WinCustomize Gallery Library are working on my computer running Win 7 64 bit.

LightStar
Reply #6 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:16 AM

May I suggest Yahoo Widgets for getting your weather information  ( ´╗┐http://widgets.yahoo.com/download/ ).  If works great and I use it on XP, Vista and Windows 7 with no issues at all.  While the weather widget is not highly customizable, it still provides accurate (as accurate as can be) weather information and you can switch between locations easily, as well as switching between Celsius and Fahrenheit settings as well.  Lots of widgets for it too!

Wizard1956
Reply #7 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:25 AM

DeAnna, weather widgets in the gallery by RedneckDude will work for you, they have all been updated. Some other skinners redid a few as well, so most of the recent ones in the gallery should be ok.RND chose to just remove weather from all his themes, so again, any of those will work for you also.

end/shameless plug for my friend

Unfortunately, older DX themes with included weather will need to be modified to even load. It's a bummer but as ID said, it's not really Stardocks fault. If you have some older favorite themes and asked the community, perhaps someone will help you with the mods.

Murex
Reply #8 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:57 AM

As far as DeskTopX goes I wouldn't bother to renew it as it hasn't been updated in a long time and probably never will be.  But you  can continue to use it for as long as you like because you have paid for it.

Not sure what version you have but if it's version 4  Your best bet is to go back to version 3.5 as it seems to work best with  windows XP, Vista and windows 7.

If your using an older Theme the best thing to do is remove the weather object from it and  find a newer weather widget to use with it.

As far as skinners updating all the old skins it just isn't worth it to update a skin that might get 1 or 2 downloads a month. Also a lot of the skinners that made the themes are no longer around.
WOM
Reply #9 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:08 AM

I also use the Yahoo widgets for everything.

Uvah
Reply #10 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:11 AM

I use Rainmeter, DX 3.5 and Sysmetrix. All three work beautifully on my laptop running Win 7 64 bit. Either one of the three will do what you want.

Philly0381
Reply #11 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:17 AM

ZubaZ
Reply #12 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:29 AM

Philly0381
I look out my window.

Philly0381
Reply #13 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:36 AM

Quoting Philly0381, reply 11I also use the Weather docklet in ObjectDock Plus V2, so there are lots of options to get weather information.I look out my window.

That was supposed to be boarded up!!!

Reply #14 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:54 AM

My DX Gadget (by RnD):

Jafo
Reply #15 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:58 AM

Doc....I gave on like that to SD when I visited...

Robbie_Boy
Reply #16 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:09 AM

Use HTC Home it's great!!!

RedneckDude
Reply #17 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:52 AM

Chasbo has some working weather widgets too, nice ones. Richard Mohler too. All you have to do is look.

I have expressed several times that WinCustomize should remove, or have the artist remove, all non working weather widgets, and those that violate the TOS of the feed providers. WC said that all non working weather widgets be removed, or they would remove them for us,back when we lost the TWC feed and I complied, which was a lot of work, some didn't and this is why there are bad widgets in the gallery making people leery of the working ones as well.

It is, IMO, only fair to those who remade their's and also the only way to solve the problem of the OP.

LightStar
Reply #18 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:44 PM

Robbie_Boy
Use HTC Home it's great!!!

Very nice widget indeed Robbie_Boy, only drawback is that it cannot do multiple locations like Yahoo's weather widget (from a dropdown list), but still very nice.  Using it now.

RedneckDude
Reply #19 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:48 PM

Robbie_Boy   Dude!!  Wassup!!

navigatsio
Reply #20 Wednesday, July 13, 2011 5:51 PM

Priceless!!!!! I'll have to make myself one of those....