SkinStudio 7 tips and tricks

Up is down. That's just maddeningly unhelpful. Why are these things never clear?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 by k10w3 | Discussion: WindowBlinds Tutorials

"Up is down.  That's just maddeningly unhelpful. Why are these things never clear?" -- Captain Jack Sparrow

I'm starting this thread to post all the tricks and code additions that I can think of, (if I miss any, please add to them in this thread), as a central clearing house grocery list of things gleaned from master skins, that aren't so obvious to a new WB skinner when they start out in SKS7.

1.  The Show Desktop Button for Windows 7 - add BackgroundEffect=1 to the code.

2.  The titlebar buttons glow - add Framecount=1 to the code.

3.  Toolbar Buttons:

6 State - Mouseover uses the disabled color.  Pressed use the Mouseover color.

Toolbar Style menubar button - Pressed uses the disabled color.  Mouseover uses the pressed color.

Places Toolbar Button - Focus uses the Pressed color.  Pressed uses the Disabled color.

4.  UIS2 Titlebar close button:  If you delete all the buttons already in the template and add new ones (as opposed to saving your new ones on top of the ones in the template by using the framebuilder feature in Skin Studio), you need to FIRST save the close button image action as something OTHER than close, apply it, then change the action to close, because there is a glitch in SkinStudio that renders the UIS2 close button nonfunctional if it's saved first as close - per Vampothika's tutorial here: http://wiki.wincustomize.com/images/d/d6/050-UISframes_buttons2.jpg)

That's all I can think of for right now.

Those of you who know of more, please add them!  Thanks so much.

5.  Per 2of3:  Add a third image to the Start Menu Item Mouseover which will be used in the start menu expanded mode.

6. Per Vampothika:

A.  IE Background Navigation Arrow; one of the arrows is 1 pixel out; you need to test it to get it right.

B.  For images that run vertically - add vert=1 to the code.

C.  Group Box: Copy and paste text code from header section to border section to change color and font.

D.  Taskbar group menu: the text codex in menu items has to be copied and pasted into the background codex, to apply mouseover color.

7.  Per Lightstar:  The search field background and the address field backgrounds for Windows 7 showing and image count of 5 when it should be 4.

8.  Tip to newbies:  Remember to make a .wba file after every successful skinning session to save a copy of your changes in case you need to revert to the last successful version, in case something gets messed up.

9.  Windows 7 Expander, if you're skinning only windows 7 -- you have to skin both the regular expander and the windows 7 expander (in both vertical and horizontal taskbars) so all states of the expander will show up on the vertical taskbar.

10.  Edit Controls -->Edit Headerbars-->drop down arrows and ticks-->pressed and mouseover states are transposed (pressed is mouseover and mouseover is pressed).  ALSO -- pressed text and mouseover text on the header bar are the same color, which is determined by the pressed text.  Mouseover text does not show.

11.  Edit Minimized Windows:  The glyphs in the minimized window are all screwed up, at least on Windows 7: The normal button is the pressed image, and the mouseover image never shows up.

12.  Per Neone6:  When Wanting to TILE the Programs list you gotta use "StretchHorizontal middle section" in the Painting margins to get the "Tiling effect".

Island Dog
Reply #1 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:03 PM

Thanks for doing this.  Looking forward to more!

2of3
Reply #2 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:53 PM

1. The Show Desktop Button for Windows 7 - add SimpleMode=0 to the code.

I`m not familiar with that one, Karen. What does it do? I do add the line BackgroundEffect=1 to the show desktop button. Without that line, the transparency of your button overrides the background........giving you a "bite" out of your tray area.

2of3
Reply #3 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 7:03 PM

Here`s one that people may not be aware of:

Item mouseover for the start panel (left side) http://wiki.wincustomize.com/wiki/SkinStudio_Help:_StartMenu.ButtonBackground

neone6
Reply #4 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:07 PM

A million Kudos for starting this helpful thread Karen

k10w3
Reply #5 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:37 PM

1. The Show Desktop Button for Windows 7 - add SimpleMode=0 to the code.

Maybe I wrote it down wrong -- I just checked it and you're right.  I'll change that.

Vampothika
Reply #6 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:40 PM

ie background for navigational arrows, one of the arrows is a pixel out. you need to test it to get it right.

vert=1 for images where the states go down verticaly instead of horizontally

group box: the text codex in the header section has to be copied and pasted to the border section,

otherwise the colour and font you chose does not change.

taskbar group menu: the text codex in menu items has to be copied and pasted into the background codex, otherwise

the font and colour does not change when you mouse over.

all i can think of for now.

k10w3
Reply #7 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:51 PM

Thanks, Kitty!

DaveBax
Reply #8 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:02 PM

Another book fo rmy SKS7. glad you talented fokes are doing my book for me because I didn't have the first word down yet.

Great thread to start Karen as all the great people are coming in now. One here and one tip there will make my book complete.

k10w3
Reply #9 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:47 PM

Dave, if you publish that book, I'm going to want some of the profits -- or at least a dedication or pretty impressive acknowledgement at the back.

Uvah
Reply #10 Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:22 PM

So will everybody in this thread. lol

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:41 AM

I may need this later.....

Disturbedcomputer
Reply #12 Wednesday, June 29, 2011 1:02 AM

2 find  so I don't have to play hide n Seek

jazzymjr
Reply #13 Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:24 AM

for future reference...

gmc2
Reply #14 Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:33 AM

Dave, can I have a copy. I'll upload the information into the appropriate wiki sections.

Uvah
Reply #15 Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:24 AM

Dave, can I have a copy.

DaveBax
Reply #16 Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:48 AM

I don't have anything together. Have bits and pieces all over the place. Said it as a joke if you read my post. Also bits and pieces came form many post I saved and some answers I received from other people.

Don't know if they would want me to post it as I don't know what came from who for credit. Was hoping there were many more post on this thread so I could put something together from this and ask the people for permission to put it all together.

neone6
Reply #17 Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:07 AM

DaveBax
All in due time

Uvah
Reply #18 Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:28 AM

I'm just going with the flow so to speak. But if you ever do all of WC gets an autographed copy so we can share in your infamy.

LightStar
Reply #19 Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:43 AM

...and the search field background and the address field backgrounds for Windows 7 showing and image count of 5 when it should be 4.

... and the list will go on and on I am sure.

gmc2
Reply #20 Friday, July 1, 2011 6:54 AM

DaveBax

it's not the first time that you have mention these obscure notes and if you put them down together it would be great to get these into the wiki sections of sks. as far as giving credit well, what's more important giving credit or providing information. some of this code info stated here is all new to me. hmmm...

anyway, I'm taking some time off soon and will be going through sks a step at a time. be an easy time to upload any data. I am taking these notes down for then.