Just discovered 'Bins', how come we haven't heard about it before from Stardock?

Monday, May 2, 2011 by karmat | Discussion: Life, the Universe and Everything

Saw this article http://lifehacker.com/#!5787083/bins-creates-stacks-of-applications-in-your-windows-7-taskbar on Lifehacker just now and it's supposedly by Stardock, just wondering why we haven't heard about it before. I'm about to go and try it out...

Bins Creates Stacks of Applications in Your Windows 7 Taskbar

by Adam Dachis

Windows: From the creators of Fences comes Bins, which is basically the Windows 7 equivalent of the "Stacks" feature in Mac OS X. If you want to organize your taskbar's program icons into little convenient bins, this download is for you.

Bins is very easy to use. You just install it and then drag a program icon from the taskbar (or wherever) onto another program icon on the taskbar and you'll create a bin. The bins look a lot like Mac OS X's stacks in Grid view, only much more compact. When you mouse over your new bin, it'll show you what's inside and you can access everything easily. Mousing over any of those items will activate Aero Peek, as you might expect. It's really simple and works very well. One downside is that Bins currently does not have support for jumplists, but I have it on good authority that jump list support is on its way.

Bins is currently available as a public beta. Right now you can try it out for free, but it'll cost money when it's released. A $5 discount is being offered for pre-orders, and students get special pricing as well.

...And then it links to Bins, OneUp Industries http://www.oneupindustries.com/bins where you can download the trial beta.

RedneckDude
Reply #1 Monday, May 2, 2011 10:22 PM

Can't get the beta, and I doubt this is a Stardock product. Possibly made by one of the devs at Stardock, maybe? Gone out on his own?

Or a marketing ploy by One Up?

tazgecko
Reply #2 Monday, May 2, 2011 10:24 PM

It's a nice little program and well worth a look.

I found that because I use tiles for my taskbar I don't have a use for it. But I will be keeping a watch

(Sorry about that PM, Jafo ... )

karmat
Reply #3 Monday, May 2, 2011 11:34 PM

tazgecko
It's a nice little program and well worth a look.

I agree, I've been using Tiles with my Raimeter skins and am totally happy with the configuration. Tiles is perfect for me - except for one thing - I'd like to be able to rearrange my pinned apps on each page (I like to be alphabetized) - and I hope that will be changed in an update (hint, hint).

Bebi Bulma
Reply #4 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:21 AM

That does look really cool (and functional). Maybe one of Jeff's side endeavors? Doesn't seem very likely (contracts and all)....it even looks like they sorta borrowed design elements from Stardock's site too.

Jafo
Reply #5 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:28 AM

Bebi Bulma
Maybe one of Jeff's side endeavors?

Yep, I believe that's the case...

Bebi Bulma
Reply #6 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 1:56 AM

http://www.oneupindustries.com/bins/about.aspx - derrrr    [e digicons]'[/e]

^....hmmph, won't insert the sweatdrop smiley

Disturbedcomputer
Reply #7 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:13 AM

well have to check it out

Uvah
Reply #8 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 5:40 AM

Saw this awhile ago. While I don't mind beta's per se if they're going to charge for it once its released it'll be no different than having a free version versus a paid one. I like freebies.

MadDeez
Reply #9 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:16 AM

since jeff has created his own venture (to which i wish him the best of luck and fortune), i wonder what effect that will have on future development of object dock and fences.

regarding Bins, i installed the beta and removed it 3 minutes later. the first bin i tried to create would have included four windows games: freecell, spider solitaire, solitaire, and mahjong. that bin couldn't be created.

Snowman
Reply #10 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:35 AM

MadDeez
four windows games: freecell, spider solitaire, solitaire, and mahjong.

There's your problem, right there.....

MadDeez
Reply #11 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:49 AM

hey frosty!!!! sorry, bub, but they're the only games i play

when jeff gets that issue fixed, i'll buy the app

Reply #12 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:57 AM

I've been using the Beta for awhile and enjoy it. A good app for organizing the taskbar so there's more room...

RedneckDude
Reply #13 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 11:29 AM

Unless I'm doing it wrong, "the hillbilly way" it seems you must pay for the beta....I'll wait.

karmat
Reply #14 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 2:00 PM

RedneckDude

Jim, just click the download button above the area where you put in your name and creditcard info. You don't have to register or pay before getting the beta, I thought at first I had to too.

Bebi Bulma
Reply #15 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:26 PM

$20 seems a bit steep for something like this, IMO.

Jafo
Reply #16 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:58 PM

Bebi Bulma
$20 seems a bit steep for something like this, IMO.

I think I paid $50 AUD for FSX [ MS Flight Simulator 10], yet have forked out since probably about $500 AUD for various addons [planes/airports/etc].  Quite different to several hundreds for Win7 and a mere 20 for an enhancement to the OS.

In other words...it's not 'a bit steep'.   The value to you is either there or it is not....

Same thing applies to the ENTIRE world of commerce.

Uvah
Reply #17 Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:52 PM

I'm running the beta and I didn't have to give them credit card info. Just name and email. And if the numbers in the bin are a problem I have ten in one bin. All my Utilities. plus eight bins. All were programs within folders. The only problem I noticed so far is that it makes OD hang up for a second or two.

JMB1984
Reply #18 Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:48 AM

@MadDeez - those games links are "special" links unfortunately and I'm still looking for a workaround to get them to work. However if you give this a try it will work... run the game you want in your Bin, and then just drag its running icon into the bin. Should be all set!

@All, regarding the pricepoint! So while there were a good number of people finding Bins worth the $20, I've decided I'm going to be refunding those people who preordered (=preorderers got it free!) and offering it up for $0.99 initially to help spread the word. And perhaps $4.99 once its established; unknown at this point, that's a pretty long ways off. With no free version though, it's hard to get people finding out about the program otherwise. (So sure, I could charge $20, but the people who would find it worth it would never hear about it ) Just hard to make a sustainable business at that price given I've been working on this exclusively since November, but hey, going to see how it goes! Definitely glad anyhow that at the lower price more people will get to make use of it.