Desktop Locks up on Startup

Can't access my Icons via Fences

Saturday, April 30, 2011 by VistArtXPosed | Discussion: Fences

I'm having an annoying problem, and it may have to do with Fences.  On startup, once the desktop loads, everything loads just fine except...I can't click on any Icons, or right-click to see a context menu.  But my Taskbar, Startmenu, and Explorer windows work just fine.  Tried uninstalling fences, and I could access my icons.  After I reinstalled fences, the desktop locks up again.  Killing Explorer and restarting it always solves the problem.  But...I don't want to have to kill Explorer.exe every single time I want to access my desktop.  Is there any way to fix this, while having Fences installed?  I bet another program is causing this, but I don't want to have to uninstall everything to figure this out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply #1 Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:54 AM

VistArtXPosed, how long has this been going on? How old is your computer and have you ever done a BIOS update? Also, might be helpful if you gave us your system specs and how much you have opening on startup.

VistArtXPosed
Reply #2 Saturday, April 30, 2011 3:22 PM
A few weeks. My PC is only 5 months old. No BIOS update. Vista Business x64, AMD Phenom 945 Quad-Core, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 60GB SSD (boot drive). It's probably just something I installed earlier this month (don't know what). Maybe a restore point would help? Well, it's not that big of deal. Just a minor annoyance.
Reply #3 Saturday, April 30, 2011 4:19 PM

Five months old and it's Vista? See about whether you can upgrade to 7... Vista on an SSD doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Vista doesn't make sense at all. If you open the windows add/delete programs through the control panel, you should be able to see when the programs were installed, and go from there...

Could it be too many programs at start up? See what you can do without on bootup... should free up RAM and prevent freeze-ups if it's from RAM.

Task Manager should give you a good idea about what's soaking up RAM... although I'm not convinced it's that.

Uvah
Reply #4 Saturday, April 30, 2011 8:42 PM

Its a place to start. If too many are on startup the amount of memory they call on might cause a PC version of a traffic jam...I'm guessing.

Dewie
Reply #5 Monday, May 2, 2011 9:32 AM

Do you perhaps have an antivirus software that is interfering with the Fences process that is plugging into Explorer? If so, try adding exceptions to your antivirus for Fences and its accompanying DLLs in the Fences installation directory.

davephx
Reply #6 Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:14 AM

This exact problem is being experienced by many people.  IF you Google fences restart at least 10 threads about same issue on this forum and others.  No one I can find has reported a solution that works.

Fences worked fine on XP but when I went to Win 7 64bit last summer the problem started. This is the first thread I've seen with it on Vista but may be 64 bit related.

HOLD IT.. drum roll - I may have cured it.  If it will stick .. will have to see if holds after reboot
I changed my performance & appearance settings to "Best performance" and then back to "Best Appearance".  Seems to easy
The above suggested and cured by someone using fences at

If that doesn't hold here is what else I wrote before finding the above cure.. that seems so far to work:

Some folks have posted chips, running programs etc and nothing is common.  I have 6mb RAM  only 40% used, have tried changing the performance settings and others have tried running almost bare with little in start up but no solution.

I am having a similar problem although not quite the same when I tried and gave up a desktop replacement Talisman - it locks up awhile but may hide the "explorer is restarting" I get with fences.

The I think founder/tech support guru says they have another report of it besides me but didn't hear back if solution worked.  He thought their problem had to do with not being able to write to the ini file and suggested run with Administration rights.  I tried that on both fences and Tailsman but without it solving.

Turning off antivirurs (ESOT NOD 32 and Malewarebytes) does not solve.

I recently switched so a solid state drive for operating system and programs (WOW very fast) but fences has problem on old HD and same on SSD.