Turning My Android Into a Hotspot

I Love It!!!

Saturday, March 12, 2011 by RedneckDude | Discussion: Mobile Tech

Hey guys, me again. I just want to share how much I love my Optimus S Android phone!

Today I am traveling down a Tennessee interstate highway with my laptop getting an internet connection from my cell phone so I can post this thread. The connection is a tad slow, but a lot better than just using the phone's browser!   Of course, someone else is driving.

I'm using a hotspot widget to attach to my laptop. It's called Hotspot Widget. The phone acts as a hotspot for up to 4 connections, I think.

Totally bitchin' gnarly rockstar stuff.....lol!!

Tydorius
Reply #1 Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:21 PM

Uvah
Reply #2 Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:51 PM

RnD's turning into a real gizmo geek. Who'da thunkit.

RedneckDude
Reply #3 Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:56 PM

Tydorius

Where can I get it?

RedneckDude
Reply #4 Saturday, March 12, 2011 1:58 PM

I just moved into a 3G area...connection is comparable to my home cable connection!!!

Uvah
Reply #5 Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:22 PM

Told ya.

LightStar
Reply #6 Saturday, March 12, 2011 6:45 PM

RedneckDude

Quoting Tydorius, reply 1I got PDANet for my Droid. It's better than the cable service around here and comparable to most DSL speeds. 2/mbps down, 1 up. One time charge of $30 was worth it.

Where can I get it?
Try this Jim:

RedneckDude
Reply #7 Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:15 PM

Thanks Tom. I'm currently connecting to the phone wirelessly, do I need a USB connection for this, since my laptop has no bluetooth?

Also, what does this mean?

"Note: Once trial expires, you can continue using PdaNet for free. The only difference is that free edition blocks secure web sites."

Uvah
Reply #8 Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:19 PM

LightStar
Reply #9 Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:01 PM

RedneckDude

Also, what does this mean?

I have no idea on the USB thing Jim, I just happened to find the software.  I do not have a cell phone that can be used like this.

RedneckDude
Reply #10 Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:30 AM

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:08 AM

RnD's turning into a real gizmo geek. Who'da thunkit.

Shhhh.....Yrag might hear you!!

Uvah
Reply #12 Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:58 AM

Oops .... don't see me ... I'm hiding.

Tydorius
Reply #13 Monday, March 21, 2011 3:10 PM

It actually means that you can't access https sites like logging into Email or Facebook, but you can still access things that you don't have to log in for - i.e. search engines, wikipedia, reading forums (Just can't log in) etc, youtube browsing and streaming.

Also, I have a first generation Android and PDANet works fine with it - I believe there are versions coming out for Blackberry and iPhone platforms in the future, maybe even Windows Mobile, but not certain - Haven't looked at the site in a while.

You just need the USB charger cable to use the tethering. You activate PDANet on the phone, enable USB Debugging, and then hit "Activate USB Tether" - Then you just plug it into the computer and run the program on the computer. It's pretty simple, and once USB debugging is enabled you can leave it toggled.

One note - Depending on your phone's power pull and signal strength in the area, sometimes PDANet uses slightly more power than the USB cord can replenish, so you'll have a slowly dying battery, but I can use my connection for eight hours at a time on some days, and my phone's battery life hasn't suffered for it. It routinely runs for days at a time when I'm not actively calling people, and I've been using PDANet for six months now.

There _is_ an option to enable bluetooth tethering, but you do have to root your phone for that option, or at least on the version I originally started with. Then you can use it as a bluetooth hot spot, depending on if your device is compatible. Again, I have a first gen phone and it's fine, so it should be fine with consecutive versions.

Reply #14 Monday, March 21, 2011 4:02 PM

LightStar
Reply #15 Monday, March 21, 2011 6:30 PM

So what I am gathering by all this is that it is illegal to use your cell phone as a WiFi hot spot then?

Reply #16 Monday, March 21, 2011 6:49 PM

LightStar

Quoting DrJBHL, reply 14Just something I read about.... AT&T is the first to do this.... http://lifehacker.com/#!5783440/att-starts-blindly-sending-emails-to-unofficial-tetherers

If you're paying for a data plan on the phone, no.

LightStar
Reply #17 Monday, March 21, 2011 7:34 PM

If you're paying for a data plan on the phone, no.

Ahhhh, OK.  Thanks Doc!

RedneckDude
Reply #18 Monday, March 21, 2011 7:37 PM

Tydorius
Quoting Uvah, reply 8It means you'll be left wide open to all kinds of not nice stuff a secure site would block.

I like my widget, it allows for WIFI tethering. I like wireless best.

RedneckDude
Reply #19 Monday, March 21, 2011 7:38 PM

Quoting LightStar, reply 15

If you're paying for a data plan on the phone, no.

Correct. Most all smartphones require a data plan anyway.

RedneckDude
Reply #20 Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:59 AM

How long is the PDANet trial period?