New Slates From MS To Be At CES

CES 2011 promises to be exciting

Saturday, December 18, 2010 by DrJBHL | Discussion: Windows 7

Next month, at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Microsoft will be presenting a slew of new slates that it hopes will offer some competition to the Apple iPad, which has quickly become the leader in this market.

Steve Ballmer, Microsoft’s chief executive, is expected to announce a number of these devices when he takes the stage at C.E.S., showcasing devices built by Samsung, HP and Dell.

"Gloria" Mockup

The Samsung device is described as “similar in size and shape to the Apple iPad, although it is not as thin. It also includes a unique and slick keyboard that slides out from below for easy typing and will also run Windows 7 when in landscape mode. The device will also have a layered interface that will appear when the keyboard is hidden and the device is held in portrait mode.”

The people familiar with this device said it would run the Windows 7 operating system when in landscape mode, but will also have a layered interface that will appear when the keyboard is hidden and the device is held in a portrait mode.

Microsoft hopes these slates will offer an alternative to the iPad because they move beyond play, people familiar with the tablets said. “The company believes there is a huge market for business people who want to enjoy a slate for reading newspapers and magazines and then work on Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint while doing work,” explained a person familiar with the company’s tablet plans.

According to a source who works at Microsoft, Microsoft was encouraging partners to build applications for these devices that use HTML5, the Web programming language. This source said the applications would not be sold in an app store, as with the Apple iTunes model, but Microsoft will encourage software partners to host the applications on their own Web sites, which will then be highlighted in a search interface on the slate computers. It is unclear if these applications will be ready for C.E.S. as most are still in production.

Another unnamed source with knowledge of Microsoft’s plans said Steve Ballmer might demonstrate a tablet and other companion devices running the next operating system, Windows 8, but as of yet Microsoft has declined to comment about coming products that have not been announced, according to reviewers in the industry.

Whatever is announced at C.E.S by Microsoft, it is sure to be exciting news, especially with what the world has seen the past year from the company.

Reply #1 Saturday, December 18, 2010 8:35 AM

I figured this might interest more folks than iPad news.

LightStar
Reply #2 Saturday, December 18, 2010 9:47 AM

Now that Samsung unit looks very interesting!  Love that slide out keyboard idea.  Might even make me replace my Acer Asipre One!  Thanks for the info Doc!

Now if it just had a USB port for a mouse.  I hate touchscreens!

Reply #3 Saturday, December 18, 2010 10:03 AM

I found it very interesting also, Tom. I think with iPad 2 coming out in February to April, and it's having a USB port and 2 cameras (one front and one back) for web chats and for retinal i.d. (so the guesses go), HP/Samsung/Dell will probably be beefing up their offerings with a cam and one or two USB ports as well.

Promises to be interesting!

theAVMAN
Reply #4 Saturday, December 18, 2010 10:05 AM

I have been watching this very closely because of use as a mobile media station in an automobile. Hp slate the is also a Dell tablet that is closer to that samsung !Going to get a link or 2 I have seen!

theAVMAN
Reply #5 Saturday, December 18, 2010 10:10 AM
Reply #6 Saturday, December 18, 2010 10:14 AM

Harley:

Interesting vid.....sound was off though as it created a howl.

LINK

Has different info, and a different, noncompetitive price.

CES should really be interesting!

Thanks for the input!

theAVMAN
Reply #7 Saturday, December 18, 2010 10:54 AM

Thanks Doc!!

I currently dont have a "radio,CD Player" in my truck I have a Windows moblie 6.5 phone (HTC Pure) and I use the audio out jack into my Equalizer then out to the amps.

That way I have Radio,MP3 Play back , Internet ,GPS ,Speaker phone ,Msn Mobile mess, all while on the road between Job site or what ever.

I want to replace this with a tablet for 2 main reasons 1st Screen size would like to get bigger than 3.8 .... 2nd I dont like having to cradle and uncradle the phone everytime I get out of the truck!

One more link here as I considered this because of its perfect size and touch screen but processor power is a little low and no built in 3G for AT&T but I guess I could use a USB 3G dongle.

Reply #8 Saturday, December 18, 2010 11:03 AM

but processor power is a little low

1.2 GHz is on the low side. The upcoming slates might have WMC and then you'll need a good processing speed and you'll be praying for a HDMI port, if I know you, AVman!

I guess I could use a USB 3G dongle.

At those prices? I think it should come with 3G at least!

theAVMAN
Reply #9 Saturday, December 18, 2010 11:13 AM

but processor power is a little low

Well I want to do it without using MC if possible it brings a PC to its knees (lol) WMP ,Internet radio stations so no reception problems, The company that made the last one I posted Archos makes 1 that does almost everything (including HDMI) but it is an Android platform   and it is half price!

Reply #10 Saturday, December 18, 2010 11:40 AM

I'd wait for the CES, Harley... I'm not wild about about the Android platform...probably because I don't have any experience with it. I'm thinking, "Wouldn't he want a system that he could probably end up skinning?"...lol...actually, I'd love to hear from folks who've some experience with their platform. The ad blurb in that link sounded a tad slick, but that's TigerDirect...

Wait and see the W7 Slates, bud... when one thinks, "I gotta have that!" is the moment one should realize he's making an 'impulse' purchase...

theAVMAN
Reply #11 Saturday, December 18, 2010 12:36 PM

"Wouldn't he want a system that he could probably end up skinning?"...lol

You got it Doc Plus I really love that all my contacts sync through Active sync!

Reply #12 Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:47 PM