Windowblinds 7 no longer applies skins correctly

Only applies the classic windows skin and simply changes colors

Monday, December 13, 2010 by Silentsnot | Discussion: Object Desktop

Hi! A couple of days ago, I started having trouble with my WB7.

After a reboot, my Windows 7 64-bit is no longer skinned properly by Windowblinds. When Windows starts up, my skin is the classic Windows skin. If I try to change skins, all it does is change the color scheme of the classic toolbars. Aero is (and has been all the time) active on my computer, and i can simply switch over to the standard Windows 7 transparent skin.

I've tried to change the settings around in Windowblinds, but nothing gives. I uninstalled and deleted my (fully updated) WB7, and redownloaded and reinstalled it through Impulse. After I did this, Windowblinds worked a charm - until I rebooted my PC. Now it's back to giving me the Windows classic skin with a variety of colors depending on the skin that's supposed to be there.

Another problem I have is that WB7 does not appear in the system tray (although it's supposed to, according to the settings in WB7).

As stated above, I have a Windows 7 x64 OS. It has run Windowblinds without problem since I got my Windows 7 copy a little while before release. If more info on hardware is needed, I can dig that up. WB7 was, as noted, the latest version, and is part of my Object Desktop subscription (which is still active at time of posting).

Thanks in advance!

Silentsnot

Philly0381
Reply #1 Monday, December 13, 2010 1:55 PM

What would help is for you to show you WindowBlinds informations from the About WindowBlinds tab.  Copy and paste that information here.  It could be that your installation has gotten messed up.

EDIT:  In going back and reading your post it sounds as thought you may have changed something in you computer or added some new software that is conflicting with WB on startup.

Also, between uninstalling and reinstalling did you run a clean up program and reboot?

Lantec
Reply #2 Monday, December 13, 2010 2:01 PM

Have you updated video drivers recently?

Any other customization software that might be conflicting?

I would try.....

Make sure you have the latest video drivers for your card.....

Uninstall WB

REBOOT

reinstall the latest version

REBOOT before running/applying

Silentsnot
Reply #3 Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:30 AM

I'm grateful for the quick responses here, and i apologize for the tardiness of my own.

Philly0381

Here is my About Windowblinds information:

Your computer has a Windows Experience Index base score of 5.9
Your Windows Graphics Experience score is 6.9

WindowBlinds version : WindowBlinds 7.2 (build 297 - Windows 7 Edition) - 64 bit OS

WindowBlinds is installed correctly on this PC
WindowBlinds appears to be activated on this PC
(BenQ E2200HD DVI) 1 is attached to NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
(Generic PnP Monitor) 2 is attached to NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+

Wblind.dll         2010/12/03 18:50:20
Wblind64.dll         2010/12/03 18:50:08
Wbsrv.dll         2010/11/29 19:40:56
SevenConfig.exe         2010/11/29 19:40:27
Wbload.exe         2010/11/29 19:40:35
Wbhelp.dll         2010/11/29 19:40:34
Tray.dll              2010/04/01 22:40:19
Wbload.dll              2010/06/07 20:10:25
Screen.exe         2010/06/07 20:10:43

I've not installed anything that should be conflicting with WB recently, only games (and most of those through Steam). They've updated directX, but I can't imagine that should conflict? I didn't run any cleanup program, could you recommend one?

Lantec
Have you updated video drivers recently?

Any other customization software that might be conflicting?

I would try.....

Make sure you have the latest video drivers for your card.....

Uninstall WB

REBOOT

reinstall the latest version

REBOOT before running/applying

Any customization programs running alongside have been doing so since long before I started having this problem. When I reinstalled, I did exactly what you suggested, bar checking for and installing new drivers. I made sure to include that step this time, but it still doesn't work...

Silentsnot
Reply #4 Thursday, December 16, 2010 12:06 PM

Well, 2 reboots later and it seems to be working fine. Windows updated the last time i rebooted, so that might have fixed it. Thanks for the help, but it seems the problem has solved itself

Lantec