Backing Up Stardock Applications With Impulse

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 by DaveBax | Discussion: Stardock Support General

This is a not a nice thought, but What If, Stardock was to close up their site and not be around anymore. I see two post today, one good for Impulse and one that hates it, so thought I would throw something in that could happen but hopefully never will.

You decided to purchase a new computer or the one you are using went boom and had to reformat. I know there has been a lot of mentioning of no available .exe files for Stardock programs. I for one have no problem or objections using Impulse and find it convenient. but if there was no Stardock there wouldn't be any working servers. True some problems are in Beta for quite awhile but that doesn't mean they don't work just fine and we wouldn't have a problem using them at least until a new OS came out. Even with that we still may not have a problem as some of the programs working now crossed over from one OS to another just fine or with just with small problems but still usable. Asking this because I'm sure including myself that many people have their favorite programs they use and would want to continue using them if a bad situation took place. I'm not writing this in a negative way and by no means saying Stardock is closing their doors but just as a What If it did happen.

With that said, if this happened how would we we be able to install our favorite programs without an .exe file if we purchased a new computer or reformatted computer without Impulse?

ZubaZ
Reply #1 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 10:19 AM

Using Impulse you can make backups of all yoru SD apps.  Burn them, and Impulse onto a DVD or what-have-you and store it away.

If SD fails, Brad has committed to pushing a flag through Impulse to disable the need to register (or some such similar thing).

You'd end up with all you needed to reinstall.

DaveBax
Reply #2 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:02 AM

Thanks Adam at least that's something of security. Will figure out what folders to back up.

LightStar
Reply #3 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:51 AM

Using Impulse you can make backups of all yoru SD apps.

How on earth do you do that, I looked and don't see any backup function available.

Wizard1956
Reply #4 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 11:54 AM

Burn them, and Impulse

Thanks for the reminder,Zubaz. I forgot to save Impulse along with my archived apps. D'oh!

(Not that I think I'll need them for the OP's reason any time soon. Stardock will most likely be around longer than I will)

Philly0381
Reply #5 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 12:05 PM

As has been said before, life goes on.

sureshot106
Reply #6 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:17 PM

where do i find the archived apps in Impulse? can't back them up and burn them if i can't find them. any help would be appreciated.

'

ZubaZ
Reply #7 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:23 PM

LightStar

Set the back-up location in teh Impulse preferences:

Right-click on teh app you want to archive adn choose . . "Archive Application"

Restore archives here:

Cool?

DaveBax
Reply #8 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:29 PM

Zubaz where did you go? Would be nice if you would tell us how we backup.

Philly0381
As has been said before, life goes on.

Yes, I'm aware as much or more than a lot of people that life goes on. Doesn't change the fact that if I have programs I like and still want to use them if something happens to the company that made them I should have the right to be able to do that.

ZubaZ
Reply #9 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:31 PM

One other (related) thing.

You can set Impulse to archive your existing app on install of an update.  It can eaiteher create a new achive each time or overwrite the last one.

ZubaZ
Reply #10 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:33 PM

DaveBax
Zubaz where did you go? Would be nice if you would tell us how we backup.

Ummm . .

Wizard1956
Reply #11 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:42 PM

IIRC, this only backs up the program itself. Your skins would be in their respective locations (all over the place)   and would need to be backed up separately. Am I correct?

ZubaZ
Reply #12 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:43 PM

Wizard1956

Mirsguy
Reply #13 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:47 PM

Set the back-up location in teh Impulse preferences:

Zubaz, there's something reassuring about the fact that you still speak Zubish.

ZubaZ
Reply #14 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:51 PM

Mirsguy
Zubaz, there's something reassuring about the fact that you still speak Zubish.

I have reviewed all my posts in this thread nad everythign looks fine to me.  What are you talking about?

Mirsguy
Reply #15 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:00 PM

What are you talking about?

Reply 1: yoru

Reply 7: teh

Reply 14: nad everythign

Fuzzy Logic
Reply #16 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:05 PM

nad everythign

Disturbedcomputer
Reply #17 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:59 PM

to fine again

DaveBax
Reply #18 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:01 PM

Sorry Aaron, I knew you would be back.

DaveBax
Reply #19 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:30 PM

I must be missing something here. I backed up but all the programs end with extension .impulse. That tell me you still need inpulse to install it back. Please explain what I'm doing wrong.

Cavan1
Reply #20 Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:03 PM

. That tell me you still need inpulse to install it back.

Yep.