Anyone good with editing sidebar gadgets?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 by Bebi Bulma | Discussion: OS Customization

I'm a little stuck....I'm trying to modify this uptime gadget because the background isn't showing up properly (no shadow). After a bit of comparing to my other gadgets (like All CPU Meter) the problem seems to be that the background image is being loaded via the css instead of the gadget.html. I tried fixing it by mirroring the html from the other gadget, but it was overlaying and not displaying the text and the image wasn't aligned properly. Could really use some help from someone who knows what they're doing.

Here's a picture to demonstrate. Gadgets on the left have the shadow (it's part of the background image). Uptime gadget is using same background image but shadow not there.

WebGizmos
Reply #1 Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:24 PM

Bebi....the bottom image looks pretty much the same size as the one on the right. So...not sure....can you copy each one...then access the code from the on the right one and swap it out with the bottom one and save it...wouldn't that work?

And I just checked out the one in your link above and it looks like it has the shadow...what happened that you lost it?

Bebi Bulma
Reply #2 Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:06 AM

Yes they're the same size, because in fact they're all the same image. The problem isn't with the image, it's with the code being used to display it. In all my other gadgets, the background image is being called in the gadget.html, but in the uptime gadget it's through the gadget.css. That's where the problem is, but when I tried messing with the code it wasn't working properly (because I don't know what I'm doing).

WebGizmos
Reply #3 Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:11 AM

Ahh...then perhaps it "has" to be called from the gadget.css for that particular gadget and there's nothing you can do to fix it...that sucks.

Bebi Bulma
Reply #4 Thursday, May 27, 2010 2:36 AM

It can be fixed, I'm just doing it wrong.

Bebi Bulma
Reply #5 Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:05 PM

No code monkeys out there know how to fix this?

WebGizmos
Reply #6 Tuesday, June 1, 2010 9:11 PM

Apparently not. Maybe you just scare them Bebi!