Help me incorporate a dock in my desktop

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 by fatindian | Discussion: OS Customization

Hi guys,

I bought Object Desktop like a week ago and that alone improved my desktop significantly (go Fences!). Yesterday I purchased Objectdock plus with the ODNT discount and I need some help implementing it in a way that is productive, efficient and pretty. Here's a screenshot of how it is currently:

As you can see, I like to keep it simple with no fancy flourishes. So I'd like to use Objectdock in the same vein, in a way that is simple and attractive. I don't like skins and themes that are over-the-top and visually distracting. And now I pose the question to those that are far more experienced in the realm of OS customization, how would you add Objectdock to improve my desktop? What skins and icon sets would you use? Would you get rid of the Fences and desktop icons completely or use some kind of hybrid solution?

I was thinking of making folders called apps and games and fill it with shortcuts and then point the stacks docklet to them. Also, I tried getting rid of the Windows 7 superbar completely, but because I am on x64 the star menu docklet is not functional so I suppose the best I can do is auto-hide it.

Just gimme any advice that you have. Thanks in advance.

natas2
Reply #1 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:07 AM

IMO, I would lose the Fences and use OD as a replacement.  You can use a nice simple black dock called Naked Noir https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/objectdock/15679/ that will sit well on that desktop.  No flourishes at all.

Wizard1956
Reply #2 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:29 AM

I only keep one icon on my desktop ( the recycle bin) and all others I use most often on the dock with 2 of these being stack docklets. For the clean look you want I suggest using trays or tiles. There are a lot of great ones in the gallery  that should go with any desktop you put together. I also use DX themes to hold most of my shortcuts,you may want to look into that as well.

P.S. Welcome to the fun but highly addictive world of Object Desktop.

Island Dog
Reply #3 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:34 AM

I would setup the docks as drawers on the right side.  Something like this.

willistuder
Reply #4 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:48 AM

You can keep using Fences along with ObjectDock. You can make your desktop icons disappear and reappear by double-clicking on an empty part of your desktop. I have both, even though I mostly use dock shortcuts.

Welcome to the world of skinning.

Mirsguy
Reply #5 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:49 AM

Here are some dock skins from my gallery that you might like. They are pretty mimimal.

Tinted is dark: https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/objectdock/16121/

Frosted is light: https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/objectdock/16332/

Here's a screen shot of one of my typical set-ups. I keep a tray dock on the bottom with my main shortcuts and open windows. I also keep a tabbed dock on top. https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/screenshots/25980/

fatindian
Reply #6 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:59 AM

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming.

I especially like the Tinted dark backgrounds, I will try to find some icons to match and give that a shot. I'll post a screenshot later when I am free with what I've come up with.

EDIT: As a Windows 7 x64 user, would you recommend OD2.0 beta over 1.9?

Xiandi
Reply #7 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 12:50 PM

I would setup the docks as drawers on the right side
ummm....that would be the left side.

I spent days setting up my docks when I first got it. I'd make a configuration, then use it for a bit to see if it felt natural to me, then change it if it didn't. That's the beauty of the docks, you can change your mind as often as you want.

Wizard1956
Reply #8 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:10 PM

ummm....that would be the left side.

To us maybe but he was standing on the other side of the screen.

ZubaZ
Reply #9 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:21 PM

fatindian

I use Fences Pro and have rules set up to add all new fiels on teh desktop routed to "Recent stuff" and then I can resort as needed wehn I have time.

fatindian
Reply #10 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:33 PM

Zubaz

Quoting fatindian, reply 6I'll probably end up reducing the amount of icons and Fences but keep the "Temp Junk" one for sure since I don't see a need to put temporary files on a dock.

Yes, I did the same. It works very well, I'm very glad I found Fences.

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:25 PM

Zubaz

Quoting fatindian,
reply 6

Do as he says, not as he speels.....

fatindian
Reply #12 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:54 PM

Jesus, I'm usually very anal about typos.

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE, THAT'S NOT ME! YAY!

RedneckDude
Reply #13 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:05 PM

You can just call me Jim....

natas2
Reply #14 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:56 PM

EDIT: As a Windows 7 x64 user, would you recommend OD2.0 beta over 1.9?

NO.  Wait until beta 2 or even 3 before you upgrade.  That's just an opinion.

WebGizmos
Reply #15 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:35 PM

You can browse through my gallery http://webgizmos.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?libid=29 as well and you'll see numerous setups and maybe you'll find one that appeals to you.

fatindian
Reply #16 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:56 PM

I think seeing other people's setups might help, WebGizmos.

Right now, I'm finding the transition a little overwhelming. It's really tough to switch to a dock when I'm so habituated to the Windows taskbar and have been for years. And it doesn't help that they actually made the taskbar a powerhouse in Windows 7.

Bebi Bulma
Reply #17 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:05 PM

fatindian
I think seeing other people's setups might help, WebGizmos.

I use the superbar and my tabbed dock. I don't think I could function without the taskbar, but the tabbed dock makes things much easier and cleaner than a bunch of pinned icons on the taskbar (I used to use doubletask on XP to have all my quicklaunch on the top row, gah).

WebGizmos
Reply #18 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:10 PM

I think seeing other people's setups might help, WebGizmos.

Not a problem fatindian...just giving you more choices. It's up to you whether you use them or not. And all those screenshots are of my desktop/setup.

Bebi Bulma
Reply #19 Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:23 PM

And all those screenshots are of my desktop/setup.

But your desktop doesn't *really* look like that....does it?

WebGizmos
Reply #20 Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:15 AM

And all those screenshots are of my desktop/setup.

But your desktop doesn't *really* look like that....does it?

Nah...usually all you can see are the bottom tabs.