Can't get Logon Studio to work

Monday, April 5, 2010 by Koasati | Discussion: Object Desktop

After several attempts to figure out why Logon Studio will not work on my new computer, Stardock Support has given up. But I would really like to use the program, so I'm here looking for help. Probably where I should have come in the first place.

Doesn't matter what logon I select, when I hit Apply, the default logon screen remains.

Disabling Anti-Virus doesn't help. Running sfc /scannow didn't help. stardock_access.bat, didn't help. Using odnt_zapper.exe, and reinstalling didn't help.

Anyone have any ideas?

My specs.........

OS  = Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) (build 7600)

Computer = HP Pavilion p6310y

Processor = 2.80 Ghz AMD Athlon II X4 630

RAM = 6 GB 1,066MHz DDR3

Video Adaptor = NVIDIA GeForce 9100

willistuder
Reply #1 Monday, April 5, 2010 2:14 AM

You could try uninstalling with Revo Uninstaller. The free version gets most of the leftover registry files that a regular uninstall leaves behind. Make sure you use the advanced mode, and be careful to select the bolded items.

Also, you might try defragmenting the registry. Sometimes that helps clear up file association problems. In my case, the wrong thumbnails appeared. After I defragmented, the proper thumbnails came back. (Just a lucky accident; that isn't why I defragmented).

As well, clean the registry. I use CCleaner. Click on the Registry icon; otherwise you'll only clean out the temporary files elsewhere.

I had the same problem when I tried a new version of Sysmetrix; nothing worked until I did the uninstall using Revo.

Revo:  http://www.freewarefiles.com/Revo-Uninstaller_program_32751.html

CCleaner:

Defraggler:  http://www.freewarefiles.com/Defraggler-Slim_program_52225.html

Jafo
Reply #2 Monday, April 5, 2010 2:16 AM

One of those 'doh! moments', eh, Randy?

Long time no see....

Can't help you with that one though....don't use Logons [I 'spose I should now....just to save my mate Randy]....

Snowman
Reply #3 Monday, April 5, 2010 4:05 AM

Woah... Randy!!

Long time no see, indeed!
Good to see you're still with us!

Koasati
Reply #4 Monday, April 5, 2010 8:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestions willistuder. I'm very familiar with Revo and CCleaner, but unfortunately that didn't help either.

Yeah Paul....... definitely a 'doh! moment.

Hey Snowy, how's it going?

I can't believe no one else has an idea that might make this work....... come on guys/gals!

There's only 3 programs left in Object Desktop that work with Win7 that I want/need, and 1 of those is a 'hot mess' on Win7, and the other doesn't work at all.   My default logon screen couldn't be more boring. Help!

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #5 Monday, April 5, 2010 9:45 PM

Randy!   any HP related text or images on the default logon screen?...maybe an HP branding issue?

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #6 Monday, April 5, 2010 9:48 PM

Koasati
Reply #7 Monday, April 5, 2010 10:59 PM

hey dude!

Nope...... other than my user name, the only text is Windows 7 Home Premium, on a blah blue background.

LotekDeviant
Reply #8 Monday, April 5, 2010 11:18 PM

I have tried Logon Studio with Win7 and needless to say it would NOT work for me, crashed and when it didn't crash it didn't do anything. I found another little program that does the same thing and it is free:

Really easy to use like Logon Studio but it actually works on Win7, sorry Stardock but yah gotta go with what works and this works very well on Win7.

Koasati
Reply #9 Monday, April 5, 2010 11:39 PM

Thanks LotekDeviant, I may check that out, but I just got it to work.

I finally found the lame background hidden away in System32\oobe\info\backgrounds. There was only the one image in there. Changed the name to backgroundDefault.jpg.bak, and it's all good.

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #10 Tuesday, April 6, 2010 11:38 AM

sure,take the easy way out...

did the prog start to work or did you just replace the default with your own image?

Koasati
Reply #11 Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:57 PM

Program is working now.

Koasati
Reply #12 Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:59 PM

sounddevil13
Reply #13 Wednesday, April 7, 2010 7:34 AM

If you rename the folder "skin" to"skins"  in the main folder it should work .

bryangalt
Reply #14 Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:00 PM

THIS POST WAS THE CORRECT SOLUTION:

Thanks LotekDeviant, I may check that out, but I just got it to work.

IT WORKED ON THE FIRST TRY. YOU ONLY NEED TO CHANGE THE NAME OF ONE OF THE JPEG FILES LISTED IN THIS FOLDER AND VIOLA! IT WORKS!

I have a Dell XPS with the i-7 processors, 64-bit Win7 Home Premium.

Glennbones
Reply #15 Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:40 PM

And yes it worked all the way about chaning the background in the System32\oobe\info\backgrounds on a win7 Home Premium on a branded MSI GX660 computer.

After that the logonstudio works just fine.

Thanks very much for this post.

Uvah
Reply #16 Friday, February 11, 2011 6:16 PM

Interesting. I use Logon Studio and I run Win7 64 bit Home Premium. Worked from day one without any problems at all.