Is LogonStudio on Impulse for XP?

I'm getting mixed signals

Thursday, February 25, 2010 by DaveRI | Discussion: Object Desktop

I'm on XP and have the ancient LogonStudio v1.0.64 installed.  Impulse doesn't show any LogonStudio installed, just shows the one version available.  With or without "Show Pre-Releases" checked, the available version shows in the status bar as v1.70(2/11/2010).  With "Show Pre-Releases" checked Impulse gives me the "Not for this O/S" dialog, but with it unchecked Impulse will start the download.  I haven't let it finish yet, is it really for XP?  Thanks.

RedneckDude
Reply #1 Friday, February 26, 2010 1:16 AM

I thought I read somewhere that it now works for all 3 OSes, but I tried to install it on XP and Impulse says it's not compatible with my system.

willistuder
Reply #2 Friday, February 26, 2010 1:16 AM

Version 1.70 can only apply an image as a logon, as I understand it. It is for Vista and Windows 7 because those operating systems don't allow for customization of the logon screen beyond applying an image. Logon Studio XP has been phased out and is hard to get, so don't lose it. It's not available through Impulse. I'm on XP, and use the old version. If you use Vista or 7, you're stuck with 1.70.

DaveRI
Reply #3 Friday, February 26, 2010 11:20 PM

Thanks guys.

I did come across this page on Stardock, looks like it has both the old and new versions, and the new version does say it's for all three Windows

I brought the XP-only one down and based on file properties I think it's the same thing I have from ages ago, so if anybody might want that for XP you can still snag it before it falls off the Earth.  I'm kind of curious about the new version and might poke around with it if I get bored but based on what you're telling me I'm leaning towards the "Well it ain't really broken" mentality.

Thanks.

DaveRI
Reply #4 Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:07 PM

Well guys I had to play (gee, that didn't take long did it? ).  I did get it loaded up fine through Impulse, and ya it does just change the main image while leaving the default blue bottom panel, user logon blue backgrounds /positions / transparencies, Windows flag and Microsoft verbage.  The main image does go over/ cover up the top panel and it's stretched (or squished) to allow room for the bottom panel so the aspect ratio is thrown off a tad.

On the other hand, the new version does make it really, really easy just to plug a new logon background in there which is kind of nice.  So I guess the old version is better for a thorough skinning job, new version is better for quick and easy plugging in of new images.  A lot might depend on how tired a person is of default MS blue and WinXP logo.

Anyway, how I did it (might be overkill, but it did go so well)[boring stuff]:

All from an Admin logon (never hurts to mention that)

Old logon studio - applied default WindowsXP Logon theme

Rebooted

Copied off old login studio directory with old logins to another directory to stash away

Disabled antivirus, Uninstalled old login studio from control panel - add/remove programs

Rebooted

Deleted old login studio directory (with logins) which uninstall left behind

Opened Impulse, unchecked "show pre-releases", Disabled antivirus, installed New Login Studio

Rebooted

Started up New Login Studio and started playing

willistuder
Reply #5 Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:47 PM

Beautiful work, sir. I'm on XP, and I'm sticking with the old version. Some of those logons are great, and you can't do the same with the new version.

Leo the Lion
Reply #6 Sunday, February 28, 2010 9:59 AM

Yep, same here. Sticking with old version on XP.

Cavan1
Reply #7 Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:09 AM

Downloading stand alone installer from logonstudio site is how I got it to install, after which Impulse show it as installed.

Hey Dave; On XP you can have both installed, just set one to default Windows logon (which turns it off) then you can use/run the other.

DaveRI
Reply #8 Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:06 PM

Thanks Cavan, I was kind of wondering about that myself.  Probably would've tried it - and probably will do it - after I get tired of seeing so much MS blue again.  Knowing me, at some point I'll forget to apply the default on one before loading a new one on the other, that'll likely be interesting and I'll just say "I knew I was gonna do that"

tgirlshayna
Reply #9 Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:03 AM

DaveRI
Thanks guys.

Thanks.

YOU GO DAVE!!!!!!! I had to do a clean install of XP this week, and the new version of logonstudio was just not cutting it at all. All it does is superimpose an image over the stock windows log on.  AAACCCKKK!!!!!! I'm gagging and vomiting at the same time.... OMG!!!! I'm GAVOMITING!!!!!!!

I won't upgrade to a version for XP unless it can be true to the skinner's vision, like this version. After all, the whole idea of skinning is too improve the look of something not so pleasing with something better, not blend the two into some kind of hybrid.

OOPS, I just realized how that sounds coming from a transsexual. Oh well... LOL!!!!

RedneckDude
Reply #10 Thursday, June 17, 2010 12:55 PM

I can't get it to install at all on XP. Says it's not compatible with my system....

RedneckDude
Reply #11 Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:44 PM

I'm getting mixed signals

OOPS, I just realized how that sounds coming from a transsexual.

Says it's not compatible with my system....

Just kidding ya tgirl...

DaveRI
Reply #12 Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:03 PM

RedneckDude

I could only get it after unchecking Impulse's "Show Pre-release versions" even though it's the same version, I got that error otherwise.  That was a while ago, don't know if it still matters or if you tried it.  (I think I ran the new version for about a week before I went back to the old one   )

tgirlshayna
Reply #13 Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:58 PM

RedneckDude

I'm getting mixed signals

OOPS, I just realized how that sounds coming from a transsexual.

Says it's not compatible with my system....

Just kidding ya tgirl...

LOL!!! (As I lift my hair and slap the back of my neck ) It's all good RedneckDude, I live in VA. We're all rednecks here, either by birth or conversion.

I'm running XP 32bit, SP3. If you're using XP pro 64bit, that could be the problem, but I'm not sure. Outside of that, I don't know what could cause a compatibility issue.

Dave might have hit on something, if his fix doesn't work try this: Uninstall the new version through impulse prior to installing the older version, after downloading the older version and saving the setup to the desktop,  install it from there, bypassing impulse, that worked for me. However, the older version doesn't show up in impulse after the install. The new version is there, and available to install, but that ain't gonna happen

Shirley
Reply #14 Friday, June 18, 2010 4:47 PM

LogonStudio available on Impulse will work with XP, but not well.  If you're looking for an XP specific version, check out the download page on the LogonStudio site.  The XP specific version is not available through Impulse.

DaveRI
Reply #15 Friday, June 18, 2010 10:32 PM

Shirley in case it's something you want to look at to sse if it needs a tweak, the new version is what I was referring to in Reply 12.  I think that's what Redneck was talking about too, but at this point I'm not sure. Anyway if you have the urge to check it...otherwise not to worry.

helen82
Reply #16 Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:04 PM

Hi Dave Ri!

You made a great work.  I'm on XP, and I'm sticking with the old version. Some of those logons are great, and you can't do the same with the new version.

Helen