Widget problems with Win 7 64 bit

Thursday, February 11, 2010 by NetaholicsAnonymous | Discussion: DesktopX

I have recently uploaded 2 clock widgets ( Clear Clock - https://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=1745&libid=34 and  Big Ben Clock - https://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=1747&libid=34).  It has been brought to my attention via feedback on each that they do not work properly for a user that is using Windows 7 64 bit.  Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong?  Is it my widget, or an issue with DesktopX and Win 7 64 bit?

Nakor
Reply #1 Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:29 PM

It's DesktopX, haven't gotten a handle on solving it yet.

NetaholicsAnonymous
Reply #2 Friday, February 12, 2010 10:00 AM

Thank you for your quick response.

OldMsgt
Reply #3 Friday, February 12, 2010 10:13 AM

I am the user that brought it to his attention, the 2 clock widgets he mentioned the minute hand did not work on either clock.

I know the minute hand can work as it does with other widgets by different authors such as Doubird. Maybe the author should get with Doubird to see how he makes his clocks minute hands operate properly

Richard Mohler
Reply #4 Friday, February 12, 2010 10:43 AM

I have 7 64 bit and it works fine here. I noticed sometimes when I first started making dx stuff that on the clocks with clock plugins that some people don't have that plugin in dx plugin folder so hands won't show. If they don't have plugin clock won't work right for them. I just always included plugin in zip and explained where it goes, and then everything seemed fine.

OldMsgt
Reply #5 Friday, February 12, 2010 11:01 AM

I have the clock in the widget folder created by the program. The hands show that is not the problem, the problem is the minute hand does not rotate on NetaholicsAnonymous clocks.

The minute hand ond Doubirds clocks work just fine

Richard Mohler
Reply #6 Friday, February 12, 2010 4:33 PM

It's just the plugin used...

Wizard1956
Reply #7 Friday, February 12, 2010 5:24 PM

I first noticed this with the "Fire" subscriber suite. The clock works on Vista 32 bit but not  on Win7 64. RND's Aero Station and some of his other clocks  also will not run on 64 bit.  Even the Silica Clock included with DX does nothing unless I boot into Vista.

My opinion is.........it's broken.

RedneckDude
Reply #8 Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:09 PM

Wizard and I worked for a few hours on my latest clock. It won't work for him, on 64 bit Win 7, as a widget, gadgets, sidebar gadget, or as a desktop. I sent him the plugins and he put them where they go, still don't work.

Works fine for me on 32 bit Vista and 7.

Wizard1956
Reply #9 Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:25 PM

It appears that any digital  or analog clock with "standard" hands works fine. It's when custom hands are used that the clock will not run.(including "Silica")

As far as 64 bit goes, the analog clock and all bar graph CPU/RAM meters are unusable in about 50% of my DX themes. Meters that are wildly inaccurate and a clock that won't tell time, I should have stuck with 32 bit.

RedneckDude
Reply #10 Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:34 PM

If the Silica clock is intended to be a "template" and it don't work.....then how will anyone make a working clock?