SysMetrix, Rainmeter, Samurize or DX?

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 by Philly0381 | Discussion: OS Customization

I think we all know that SysMetrix hasn't been updated in a long time so I'm curious as to what folks are using to get things like their system information (CPU, memory, available disk space, etc.), or other info?

Along with those listed in the title there is also Microsoft and Google gadgets.  Didn't DX have some stuff that used sys stats?  Are there any others souces for desktop gadgets out there?  Are they all compatible with Stardock software.

Ooops, I forget Winstep, but then it does alot of stuff, right?

Lantec
Reply #1 Tuesday, December 15, 2009 1:54 PM

Samurize or rainmeter if you like the option to skin it.........Sidebar/Desktop gadgets also include some great performance meters but you're stuck with the appearance. DX had/has a lot of potential but the performance meter side has never really gone beyond the basics.

My personal preference runs to Samurize because of the built in editor, but I do like to play with the newer release of Rainmeter.

Philly0381
Reply #2 Wednesday, December 16, 2009 9:32 AM

B U M P

wc2005
Reply #3 Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:34 AM

I have used DesktopX for many years. It is perfect, i can do everything with it. I think it is the best application for my desktop now and forever.

RainMeter just put unnecessary information on my desktop so i refuse to use it. DesktopX is more powerful in such and many other situations.

Big love for DesktopX and Stardock .

RedneckDude
Reply #4 Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:40 AM

DX DX DX DX DX DX DX.................................................................Did I mention DX?

neophil78
Reply #5 Wednesday, December 16, 2009 10:40 AM

Sysmetrix, no need to know about scripting

Philly0381
Reply #6 Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:10 AM

The problem whith SysMetrix is that it hasn't received an update in ages and doesn't work well with the newer mulitl-core CPU's and memory higher than 2gb.  I'm not even sure that it is Vista/Win 7 or 64 bit compatible.

c242
Reply #7 Wednesday, December 16, 2009 11:33 AM

I have the same problem with DesktopX. I can't get it to display correct MEM above 2 GB. Not to speak of implementing MultiCore graphs for the CPU...

Wizard1956
Reply #8 Wednesday, December 16, 2009 1:25 PM

Still high on my wishlist for DX 4.0...the working version,that is.

Philly0381
Reply #9 Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:11 PM

B U M P

dragonmage
Reply #10 Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:37 PM

I use Rainmeter personally. Lots of new things happening with it.

Rainmeter puts what you tell it to on your desktop, as evidenced by the screenshot below. I'm doing a massive addition to Sputnik, Rainmeter being a major part of it.

carlobee
Reply #11 Friday, December 18, 2009 2:45 AM

I use Rainmeter too. Where can I download the best skins for Rainmeter by the way?

Vampothika
Reply #12 Friday, December 18, 2009 4:45 AM

i loved sysmetrix because I could give it applications that i personally liked, the weather temp, time, rubbish bin ect...and never took too much real estate on my monitor....i cant seem to find anything similar that i like.....

karmat
Reply #13 Friday, December 18, 2009 7:04 AM

I use Rainmeter, it does what you want it to do and you can customize it to whatever your desktop looks like. You can download the latest version at http://rainmeter.net/RainCMS/. Read the forums for tips, some new skins can be found there as well. You can get skins at deviantART http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=customization/skins/sysmonitor/rainmeter&order=5 and there's skins at Customize.org as well.

WOM
Reply #14 Friday, December 18, 2009 8:14 AM

I use Yahoo (old konfaborter) , hope I spelled that right.

dragonmage
Reply #15 Friday, December 18, 2009 10:08 AM

Konfabulator I believe, Wom. I never used it myself. I experimented with DX 2 for a bit, then used Sysmetrix for a long time. I settled on Rainmeter because of it's portability. I was searching for a way to get a cool and useful interface that I could pair with the PortableApps Platform, and rediscovered Rainmeter.

c242
Reply #16 Friday, December 18, 2009 5:32 PM

I found nearly all rainmeter skins ugly and totally oversized (same with most totally oversized dx widgets/gadgets nowadays), but that could just be my personal taste. I don't want a thing that should only show some graphs to fill 20 % and more of my screen even at 1680.

SPerry5531
Reply #17 Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:45 AM
So, I have a new laptop. Win 7 64bit with 4 core / 8 threads, 8 GB RAM and .5TB HDD. What meter app will keep up with everything?