Win7 Home Premium x64 versus Desktop Ultimate

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 by skyzyk | Discussion: Object Desktop

Hello. after 2 months of struggling with my laptop I went out and got a new desktop computer. An HP Pavillion Elite, x64, with the new Intel i7-860 processor, 2.88ghZ, 4/8GB,1To, 1920x1200. Yes I am bragging.   It came with Windows 7 Home premium. After I reinstalled Impulse and then reinstalled the "available" programs I have 2 problems. The first being Bootskin Pro, "not compatible" and the second problem is that sound packager will not run. I can see in task manager that it starts and closes by itself, never seeing even a flash screen. Impulse says it is properly installed. But yet it will not run. There are also some My Colors themes, like "Music" and also Aquarium Desktop 2009 are not comaptble.

My laptop was x86, (x32) and a x64 system is totally new to me. I am somewhat new to all of this. I get that Virtual desktop won't work in 7, no biggie, but can someone please enlighten me as to the 2 other problems I have presently or even with x64 in general with respect to the above.

milksama
Reply #1 Wednesday, December 2, 2009 5:57 PM

Do you have any security applications installed?

Mike

Shirley
Reply #2 Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:53 PM

BootSkin on Windows 7 won't be happening for some time, if at all.  For now, all of the MyColors themes are supported on XP/Vista, and some may be updated with Windows 7 substyles.

skyzyk
Reply #3 Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:36 AM

At the moment, we're still working on bringing Win7 support to everything. Neither BootSkin nor SoundPackager are officially Win7 compatible, though I am able to use SoundPackager ok here on my Win7 x64 system. Do you have any security applications installed? Mike

I have Norton Internet Security and Webroot Anti Virius w Spy Sweeper.

Shirley
Reply #4 Thursday, December 3, 2009 7:02 PM

Does adding exceptions for SoundPackager in these or disabling them help?

skyzyk
Reply #5 Friday, December 4, 2009 2:05 PM

Nothing has changed. I am using Norton Internet security and Webroot Spysweeper w/ anti virus. I have give it all the priveleges I can find but it starts and then closes 5 seconds later.

JoDa
Reply #6 Friday, December 4, 2009 2:30 PM

I have a similar system from Dell, a Studio XPS with the same chip and OS. I'm a bit of an experimenter (had to system restore 3 times the first two days!) and I've learned to be very careful with 32 bit drivers and programs with this system. I'm sure that in time there will be more 64 bit Win 7 compatible and 32 bit win 7 compatible stuff available but until then be cautious!

Shirley
Reply #7 Friday, December 4, 2009 5:08 PM

skyzyk: Try moving all your sound packages to another directory and then relaunch SoundPackager and see if it loads.  The default theme directory is C:\Users\Public\Documents\Stardock\SoundPackager.  You might also try clearing the data in C:\Users\{your user name here}\AppData\Roaming\Stardock\SoundPackager

skyzyk
Reply #8 Saturday, December 5, 2009 9:07 PM

Shirley I moved everything uninstalled again and reunstalled and the same thing happens. What can I do?

Cameochi
Reply #9 Saturday, December 5, 2009 10:42 PM

Shirley, I am really sorry to hear that we may not see a Win 7 version of Bootskin.  I love that program.  It "almost" makes me miss Vista.  Sure hope we do get to see it one of these days although the boot screen for Win 7 isn't a ugly as the ones for XP and Vista.

Cameochi
Reply #10 Saturday, December 5, 2009 10:44 PM

Hi Skyzyk,

Have you tried running Sound Packager with Norton completely disabled?  Just an idea.  It works fine for me but I am in the 32 bit version of Win 7.  Hope you are able to get it all sorted out but it sounds as though you've tried about everything.

DjiRate
Reply #11 Saturday, December 5, 2009 11:39 PM

also open your mycolors themes with a zip file opener and copy the WB from there and then go put it in your PUBLIC DOCUMENTS>STARDOCK>WINDOWBLINDS and then open WB and rebuild the list if you dont see the skin when you first open it up...i hope that helps

skyzyk
Reply #12 Sunday, December 6, 2009 7:54 PM

Hi Skyzyk,

Have you tried running Sound Packager with Norton completely disabled? Just an idea. It works fine for me but I am in the 32 bit version of Win 7. Hope you are able to get it all sorted out but it sounds as though you've tried about everything.
I uninstalled Norton Internet Security and installed my paid version of Avira AntiVir. and the same thing is happening. Sound Packager will not start.