A small problem with Firefox.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 by CountryYokel | Discussion: WinCustomize Site Issues

When I upgraded form Firefox 2 to version 3 I found that I had a small problem that the links to my site, skins settings etc. on a bar just above where you log in to the site, (top right corner) were appearing on the shaded log in area & did not work, & as it was stated at the time that the site did have a few rendering problems with Firefox 3,  I use the IE tab extention to access these pages, no problem

My daughter has just aquired a new laptop, ( her old one had an altercation with a cup of tea, & lost)  I was installing some programmes, as she leads a very busy life, when I installed Firefox, the links were placed in the right area & working.

Has anyone have any ideas why this should be? I have a dual boot Deaktop with Firefox on each partition ( XP home & Vista Ultimate & Vista home premium is my daughter's OS.

Bichur
Reply #1 Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:00 AM

try ctrl 0 (zero)

if it moves back to where it should be, you have zoom text only turned on

view > zoom

text only toggles

it's just a guess, I just tried zoom text only then hit ctr + and when the text zoomed it moved down right above my name

PoSmedley
Reply #2 Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:52 AM

I had the same problem. Damn add ons. Thanks, Bichur.

CountryYokel
Reply #3 Tuesday, October 13, 2009 11:24 AM

Thanks, Bichur, once I found the correct size for the text, the links went onto the bar & worked. I had my text set with a Stylish userscript.

PoSmedley
Reply #4 Tuesday, October 13, 2009 6:35 PM

WHat the heck. Now my pages are resizing all on their own. They keep zooming in until they run off the screen. I hit reset and it starts all over again.

Bichur
Reply #5 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 4:05 AM

let me guess Po

been browsing pron highly intensive graphic sites, been zooming in on the pictures and now the main address links are zoomed already?

PoSmedley
Reply #6 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:21 AM

Bichur
Reply #7 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:19 AM

holding down ctrl and spinning you mouse wheel?

maybe this -

To reset the page zoom on all sites delete content-prefs.sqlite in the profile folder.
See Profiles: How to find your profile
"Application Data" in XP/2K and "AppData" in Vista are hidden folders, use %APPDATA%
Show hidden files and folders (MozillaZine (KB))

Bichur
Reply #8 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:24 AM

just checking..

CountryYokel
Reply #9 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:25 AM

Thought I had it fixed, until I changed from XP to Vista, even though I thought I had exactly the same settings could not get the links onto the bar, until I noticed I did not have the same font set in Optons/content/default font, so I changed this setting from verdana to cambria, the text immediately jumped onto the bar & became active again. So it would seem the size of individual fonts also causes this issue.

PoSmedley
Reply #10 Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:31 AM

So it would seem the size of individual fonts also causes this issue.

I checked that to make sure I had everything set at the default fonts for Firefox. It seems okay right now. I don't know what's going on. My desktop icons keep changing size to, only they shrink and I have to reset them.

Bichur
Reply #11 Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:18 AM

My desktop icons keep changing size to,

this is vista?  I don't have vista - been i seem to recall reading you can do that with the mouse wheel and ctrl?

maybe sticky keys got turned on? and stuck on zoom/size change?

PoSmedley
Reply #12 Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:53 AM

this is vista?

maybe sticky keys got turned on? and stuck on zoom/size change?

If they did, I don't know where they are. I dug out my old PC (the last one blew the f--- up) and this one is buggy as hell. I put Vista on it. I shouldn't say it's buggy. I have two problems. The desktop icons and webpages keep resizing (The web pages get bigger and the icons get smaller) and windows explorer keeps having to restart.

I'm kinda getting frustrated and sick of the whole mess.

I've emailed Yrag but his email keeps kicking my emails back.

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason: Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server. The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.

Recipient:***************

Reason: 5.1.3 spamcleaner : Domain is not allowed

I have a Micrsux keyboard and mouse. I'm gonna try uninstalling the itype and intellipoint that came with them.

Bichur
Reply #13 Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:17 PM

sticky keys are usually in the accessibility options

only way I can find them in xp is to open control panely and switch to classic view

have you tried PM'ing him?

PoSmedley
Reply #14 Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:00 PM

have you tried PM'ing him?

When I PM him, he tells me to email him.

I disabled the two microsoft programs for the wirelss keyboard and mouse from start up and so far, it seems okay. I'll have to wait and see.

PoSmedley
Reply #15 Friday, October 16, 2009 9:04 AM

That didn't work.

I looked around and disabled the touch feature on my wacom tablet last night. ON start-up this morning, everything seems okay. It's usually wonkiest on start up.

PoSmedley
Reply #16 Friday, October 16, 2009 10:03 AM

ALright. The problem got worse. Windows Explorere started crashing everytime I would right click on a file. I looked around and found a bit on ShellExView. It shows all shells installed with any programs on your PC. I started going down and disabling anything that was not Microsoft.

I would disable a shell and right click on a file to see if it still crashed.

It didn't take long. When I got to Snag-It9 and disabled all of it's shell extensions the problem stopped.

A lot of the articles I skimmed all referred to this method/software to solve the problem.

ShellExView is free, by the way.