WindowBlinds 7 New Code Guide

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 by Island Dog | Discussion: WindowBlinds Tutorials

Master skinner DanilloOc has taken the time to write a great guide on the new codes in WindowBlinds 7.  This will no doubt be a tremendous help to skinners in creating and updating their skins for Windows 7 and WindowBlinds 7.

• This is a quick guide to help you add new Windows 7 features to you skin (WindowBlinds 7).
  • You'll need the latest WindowBlinds 7 (beta) to have this code working.
  • The guide is inside a zip and come in two formats, .docx (Microsoft Word) and .htm (Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) and have screenshots all over.

Download

Mirsguy
Reply #1 Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:25 PM
This is an invaluable resource! Thanks DanilloOC & ID!
ShelbyGT_The_Car
Reply #2 Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:09 PM

OK now we are really going places!

Thanks Dan very well done.

GhoS
Reply #3 Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:40 PM
Cool, maybe now more will update or create skins for Windows 7 so we can try out more that work correctly.
LightStar
Reply #4 Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:16 PM
Way to go! Thanks for providing this extremely useful resource!
I.R. Brainiac
Reply #5 Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:58 PM
Excellent!...off to try it out. Thank you Dani. Great Post ID.
I.R. Brainiac
Reply #6 Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:13 AM
OK...that is some awesome work Dani.Thank you for assembling this for us. One question(for now heheheheh)...I keep seeing a setting for ApplyColor...can you tell us what that is for?
I.R. Brainiac
Reply #7 Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:35 AM
Now I must go cry quietly to myself about my design choices.
tippytoenail
Reply #8 Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:15 AM
I hope I can figure how to make this work for me.
Now I must go cry quietly to myself about my design choices.
Can I go cry with you Brainiac? PLEASE ?
I.R. Brainiac
Reply #9 Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:05 AM

After we cry we must think outside the box on how to adapt our ludicrously non MS designs to this new setup...designs that were arrived at by ...thinking outside the box.    hehe,this'll lern ya to use curves,colors,ideas or any independant thought while a skinnin'.   Bless you Microsoft.

Despite some of Vista's silliness that made it into Win7,I dont hate 7 the way I did Vista when it came out.Vista SP3,er...I mean Win7...has some nice features and fixes.

danioc
Reply #10 Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:00 AM
I'm glad the doc is being helpful for you guys.

. I.R. Brainiac: about the "ApplyColour=" setting, it will recolor the image based on various system colors, 2 means highlight colour, 4 means tooltip background colour,3 means button face, and 1 also means highlight color. I Asked Neil and he told me that there is the occasional use for some skin authors with that one.

. About the designs choices, remeber that with new provided start panel codes, you can have the start panel in normal mode with one design and have the expanded and search modes completely different, some parts are still shared between them but with some adjusts here and there, you can make it work
Mirsguy
Reply #11 Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:39 AM

Are we to assume that these adjustments will be able to be made more easily through SkinStudio sometime in the future?

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #12 Friday, July 24, 2009 4:05 AM
A skinner certainly stands a better chance of adapting his designs with this new info than he would without...thanks again mister.
I.R. Brainiac
Reply #13 Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:35 AM
A little tip...WB4 block files can cause changes you make to these sections to NOT take effect. Delete the little bastards. I added test graphics and they were showing...pointed them at new images and even deleted entire sections...even rebooted and no new changes were showing...til I deleted the block files. I know why they are called block files...haha,they block you from making changes.
I.R. Brainiac
Reply #14 Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:01 AM
possible oops...the expanded left graphic should not include the allprogs area...?
I.R. Brainiac
Reply #15 Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:07 AM
another maybe tip...the start menu expansion settings seem to do nothing for me unless written under this section. [StartPanel] HideShadows=1 BackgroundColour=26 StartMenuExpansion=23 ignore this post formatting...the lines of code should look like they do in notepad
danioc
Reply #16 Saturday, July 25, 2009 2:27 PM
Ok, lets go.
. The .wb4/.wb64 (cache/block) files, open NotePad and past this text:
del /s *.wb4 *.wb64

Save as "WB-cache-killer.bat" and place it inside your WB skins folder,
you then can create a shortcut to your desktop or other place you want,
double click the shortcut and it will erase all skin cache from all your skins.

. The All Programs are has no custom Expand mode, blame Microsoft for that.

. Sorry, yes the expansion code should go in that section too, I'm updating the doc.
danioc
Reply #17 Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:02 PM
I just updated the doc, I don't have access to the download link in this article, only ID has.

For now, please download the updated doc from here (until ID update the link here)

WWW Link
ShelbyGT_The_Car
Reply #18 Saturday, July 25, 2009 11:19 PM

Thanks for all the hard work there Dan and esp. this new update. Lots of new stuff here!

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #19 Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:25 AM
Thanks to Dani Ive done my first Win7 Start menu! woohoo! I still think something is off about the all progs and expanded left.The allprogs dosnt need an expanded image and if I include it into the expanded left graphic it gets drawn twice...stacked one above the other. Other than that...perfecto Dani. Jump menus done.Havnt played with the glows yet.I dont see the glows except during a flash while opening a window...no mouseover glows and I havnt watched a file transfer yet for the progress effect. Thanks again Dani.
I.R. Brainiac
Reply #20 Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:30 AM
probably a silly question during beta...but what about the search modes white background and black text? any word of something similar to BackgroundColor=?