Weirdest thing happened to me regarding IE7

Thursday, May 28, 2009 by k10w3 | Discussion: Internet

I'm posting this to determine if this is something happening to everyone, or just another of my personal computing anomalies specific to my machine.  Day before yesterday I got a Windows Update, downloaded it, and the download behaved as if I had just installed IE7 (thanking me for installing it, and asking me did I want to make it better, etc.); this was on one of my off days, and I don't use IE as my "fun" browser -- I only use it for work purposes.

Well, today is the beginning of my work week, and I went to clock in at the Webclock my company uses, and none of the text input boxes would work (i.e., I couldn't type anything into the text boxes) thus I couldn't clock in.  I couldn't type anything in the Google search box -- the cursor just would not register.  So, I reset to the original options, and rebooted.  Then when I opened IE, rather than my home page, it displayed the "download IE8 now" page.  I figured now was as good a time as ever, and downloaded it -- everything is working fine now, with the text boxes.

Next, I decided to do a little research to figure out WTH was going on, and came across this recent article: http://www.pc1news.com/news/0664/exploring-the-internet-explorer-vulnerability.html

Some of the links included in the article at the bottom point to an organization sponsored by the National Cyber Security Division of National Homeland Security.  So...I'm wondering if Microsoft is sort of "disabling" IE7 so everyone will update to IE8 so they don't get law suits up the wazoo with the security vulnarability.

Which led me to the next question (one more close to my heart)...if everyone is "suppose" to have IE8 (if they're using IE) due to security reasons, is there any point at all in skinning IE7 in SKS6?

Reply #1 Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:41 PM

So nice to know that MS cares so much. Yeah. About as much as that White House joker who said, "If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What's more, you deserve to be hacked." - White House Cybersecurity Advisor, Richard Clarke.

So, you get updated to ie8. Only problem with that is that poc crashes if it hits a website that gives it gas.

Does your worksite work with any other browser, Karen? If not, you'll get the warning:

What really bothers me is that the Internet is populated with technocriminals whose life is to make yours and mine miserable, and technomorons who make browsers which are technocrap.

I wish to G-d there was a "smite" button I could click that could vaporize the a**holes who make the lives of honest working people hellish all because the former group is too damned lazy to do anything constructive and engage in identity (and every other kind of) theft.

k10w3
Reply #2 Thursday, May 28, 2009 7:51 PM

No, the other browsers don't work with the platform.  Opera is my personal favorite, and it's what I use when I'm not working...truly wish it would work with the platform.  So, yup...I got the "Uh Oh, You're Screwed" button (and it's not even skinned!!!)

Reason enough to start questioning G-d's existence, wouldn't you say?   (Don't mind me....I'm immensely fortunate to have not been born during "the burning times")

Reply #3 Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:33 PM

Opera is my personal favorite,

Yep! Mine as well.

Reason enough to start questioning G-d's existence, wouldn't you say?

Naaah....I just hope G-d doesn't start questioning mine.

k10w3
Reply #4 Thursday, May 28, 2009 9:04 PM

Naaah....I just hope G-d doesn't start questioning mine.

How do you know He doesn't?

yrag
Reply #5 Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:11 PM

Microsoft couldn't care less what browser you're using.

You installed IE8 twice.

Jafo
Reply #6 Friday, May 29, 2009 9:54 AM

Listen to yrag...

k10w3
Reply #7 Friday, May 29, 2009 10:45 AM

Listen to yrag...

I know.  Yrag is the Computer Whisperer.

gmc2
Reply #8 Friday, June 5, 2009 6:26 AM

you have some of the most entertaining experiences with computers than anybody else that I know of, you must be magical.