How to Activate Software?

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 by M-203 | Discussion: Stardock Support General

I purchased Object Desktop Ultimate yesterday, and have archived all the software.
I wish to install the software on my OFFLINE home computer, but when I was installing on my Laptop,
the software asks for the e-mail & serial so it can activate the software.

Not a problem on my Laptop which IS connected to Internet.

But how can I have it activate the software on my offline computer,
which does not posess an internet connection?
Will Impulse even work on my offline computer without an internet connection?

Off-topic question:
I notice that Object Dock Plus is NOT part of the Ultimate package,
at least Impulse is not offering a Plus version in "My Software".
Is it not a part of the Ultimate package?
If not, is the Plus version worth paying the extra 20 bucks for,
or would the Free version do the job?
As in:  What's the advantage of the Plus version over the Free version?

Wizard1956
Reply #1 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:50 PM

What's the advantage of the Plus version over the Free version?

Tabbed docks,and the ability to have more than one dock at a time,plus the ability to recolor them is the biggest advantage. At least it is for me.Your mileage may vary.

I used the free version for over a year and liked it. I've had Plus for 2 months and love it.

Reply #2 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:25 PM

I think that if you want to activate the software, you'll pretty much have to go on line so that SD can confirm that through Impulse. All you'll have to do is download Impulse and put in your email. You'll also need that to update the software and download skins, etc...

Wizard1956
Reply #3 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:40 PM

I think this issue is addressed by Impulse Anywhere.  LINK  (see reply #17) and LINK If I read it correctly,you need Impulse installed on the off-line rig but you don't need it to be online to install or use your software.

Lantec
Reply #4 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:41 PM

offline activation.........

LINK

Reply #5 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:45 PM

I sit corrected...thanx Lantec and Wiz!

M-203
Reply #6 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:51 PM

Lantec, thanks for that.

Question, does that mean I have to do an e-mail for each individual program, or can I add info from every program I install at once?

Lantec
Reply #7 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:13 PM

Ultimate on requires one S/N so I assume it only generates one activation for programs in it. I could be wrong as I have not actually tried to do it.

Netriak
Reply #8 Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:54 PM

The email activation method is outdated. Use Impulse alternative activation instead, if possible:

That page specifically warns you NOT to follow the old email instructions. They may no longer work. Use the impulse alternative activation page instead.

M-203
Reply #9 Saturday, April 25, 2009 9:02 AM

A follow-up to the ObjectDock Plus question:

I have decided to go ahead and purchase ObjectDock Plus,
however, I have to wait a few days until the money is transferred to my PayPal account.

Can I in the meantime install the free version, and do whatever settings, install a couple of docks,
and then when I push the purchase through simply update from the free to the Plus version?
Or would I be better off waiting until I get the Plus version before installing?

Lantec
Reply #10 Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:14 AM

No! You will have problems if you don't uninstall the free version prior to installing the Plus version. The free version is limited to just one dock and the configuration is not "transferrable"

Wizard1956
Reply #11 Saturday, April 25, 2009 10:28 AM

You can,but you will need to uninstall the free version before installing Plus.If you decide to use the free version,save your dock(s) you create and you can reload them with OD+.Just select the Themes tab in Plus,"Load Previous Dock" and your saved docks will be listed.

You won't lose them or any icons ,backgrounds,etc. that you download.They will be in Username/Documents/Stardock/ObjectDock Library.

Edit: I read LanTecs reply so I should add that you should  save the "Backed Up Themes" folder somewhere to make sure they aren't deleted. It's up to you on waiting or not,but it may be easier to hold off on it. I lost some docklets which I had to redownload and it reset my weather icons back to default. No big deal.Otherwise the upgrade went well.

M-203
Reply #12 Saturday, April 25, 2009 12:05 PM

Ok thanks, I guess I'll hold the itchy trigger-finger for a couple more days then, and just browse the Dock skin section.  And download a few of them in advance to check out when I do get the Plus version.