Is a Question a Tutorial??

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 by RomanDA | Discussion: DesktopX Tutorials

Ok.. this has been kind of bugging me for a while.   Why are people posting "questions" to the TURORIALS forums?

I was under the impression that every product has a forum for questions ie:

OS Customization -> DesktopX

Where questions, comments, etc could be posted, but i see more and more people posting these (sometimes the SAME ) questions in the DesktopX Tutorials forum.   My problem with this is that the Actual Tutorials are being pushed way down the list making it harder for people looking for actual tutorials to find them.

This is just me being nit-picky.

superman
Reply #1 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:02 AM

Might be sometimes. Most often the questions are solved so we learn from them hence they can be treated as tutorials.

As for , stepwise tutorials there should be one sticky post listing all of them

form

forum

hehe.. is Zu your tooter? (tutor)

RomanDA
Reply #2 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:09 AM

Zu is mi hereohh

I understand that when these are solved it helps people learn, but that can happen in the other forum.  The problem with a sticky list of tutorials is that i think thats what this whole forum was designed for, so people would have 1 location to find the tutorials and one to post q's etc.

vStyler
Reply #3 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:21 AM

Perhaps tuts should be linked directly to Wiki pages.

superman
Reply #4 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:26 AM

Great to no Zu is or eroh.....

Yes that can happen in another forum too. But if you look under Forum Categories Menu, there is no DesktopX under OS Customization. Its only under the drop down list while creating post.

This may be one of the reasons why most questions are being posted there because 'DesktopX Tutorials' is easier to find.

I will avoid posting my queries there next time onwards.

CarGuy1
Reply #5 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:30 AM

Ironic that this is posted in the tutorials forum.

superman
Reply #6 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 8:40 AM

My last post there will be some 6 or 8 months back.

Iron is needed to get stronger.

sViz
Reply #7 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:01 AM

I've been wondering this, too. My best guess is that DesktopX Tutorial link is in the right-hand menu and therefore more visible than the DesktopX link, so people just use that.

DigitalT
Reply #8 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 9:21 AM

I know for me, I posted in here cause, I could not really find a good place to ask desktopx scripting questions.  And  I noticed that there were already questions posted here, so I though this was the place to ask.

superman
Reply #9 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:13 PM

Even if you post only stepwise tutorials there, will they really be stepwise? The posts are listed acc to recent activity and hence they are random in sequence.

So it is quite possible that tutorials will not be in order they were actually published. When I was relativelly very new to DX, I felt there should be at least one sticky post indexing all stepwise tutorials in order. Fortunately, I found one non-sticky post listing all stepwise tutorials in order.

Its non sticky....

Reply #10 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:33 PM

My thought, for whatever it's worth is that Tutorials should be in the Wiki. Unfortunately, the Wiki isn't being maintained well....no blame is being cast, not any fingers pointed.

Sometime back I suggested an update of the Wiki with videoclips like "The Video Professor".

Stardock could even make money on it (and the authors as well) with DVD's for sale on each piece of software, made by the preeminent artists and software developers.

Many folks would like to learn to skin, so why not put together something like this in conjunction with Stardock? There could be surveys taken to see if the idea is popular or not....it might well not be. As things stand, it's all a matter of posted questions, hit and miss answers and then lost information...leading to repetitious questions.

As for questios and posts appearing not in their best places, that's more a question of Moderation. An "on call Mod" could read the submitted post and assign it to an appropriate section. A longer "Recent Activity" type section might also alleviate some of this problem.

As I said, this is just my opinion, and I'm only trying to be constructive.

PuterDudeJim
Reply #11 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:42 PM

Ironic that this is posted in the tutorials forum.

Good point...lol!!!!

Tailsgirl
Reply #12 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:45 PM

I've actually seen topics that were Tutorials on how to ask a question.

There should be another Desktopx forum, if you don't want folks asking for help in this one.

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #13 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 5:05 PM

You are absolutely right Roman...a tutorial section should be just that...tutorials.

ZubaZ
Reply #14 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 5:15 PM

Thankfully there is.

Home | OS Customization | DesktopX

Tailsgirl
Reply #15 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 5:21 PM

Hard to find, since on the right the only thing that comes up under Desktopx, is Tutorials.

...........and as you are well aware, search doesn't work.

ZubaZ
Reply #16 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 5:40 PM

Good point.  THe problem is that there are hundreds of forums and we can't show them all.

The tutorial one is super useflu . . so it's there.  Putting the one I linked there would be nice . . but then it might look crowded.  And if we took off the tutorials . . we'd lose a valuable resource.

Website design is full of choices . . the trick is to find balance.  Much like life.

Tailsgirl
Reply #17 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:00 PM

Fair enough, it would be better if search worked, we'd find it and there would be no need to have a permanent link

I.R. Brainiac
Reply #18 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:08 PM

wow,invisible forum sections?...and no search?...sad.

no wonder people are posting in the wrong sections...that might explain why a tutorial I wrote only had 2 responses...I put under skinning...not tutorials...d'oh!

Reply #19 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:24 PM

I.R.- The Mods can switch it...maybe pop it back up on the Recent list so folks can see it. I'd certainly like to see it.

HG_Eliminator
Reply #20 Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:35 PM

well nutz... I thought this was a tutorial on questions.... or a question on tutorials?

now that im at it, where would one post questions about question tutorials or tutorials about questioning tutorials?? the whole thing is very questionable to me.. dam im confuzled now...