Still no go on Windows 7 update soon?

Sunday, January 11, 2009 by Bigdaddy4u | Discussion: Fences

I tried to install on Windows 7 again still does not load.

I hope your working on a fix.

CarGuy1
Reply #1 Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:24 PM

Hey...it's a beta.

I'm sure that Stardock's going to be tweaking thier programs to work with it but if I were them I would wait until it gets closer to release. So much can and will change with the beta that what software that is working today can be broken with the next update from microsoft.

ZubaZ
Reply #2 Sunday, January 11, 2009 10:48 PM

LOL, Fences is still in private beta. . . . for vista and XP.

People are so crazy.

Wizard1956
Reply #3 Monday, January 12, 2009 2:50 AM

Beta + beta = double bleeding-edged sword.

AzDude
Reply #4 Monday, January 12, 2009 3:21 AM

make sure you do a full windows format first

on the partion your trying to load 7 on , or it won't take ..

or did you mean you loaded 7 but stardock program problems ?

I got working so far;

Object Dock Plus

Sound Pkg

Vista Logon 1/2 working will DL but not create..

who esle has other programs working ?

Jafo
Reply #5 Monday, January 12, 2009 5:40 AM

I tried to install on Windows 7 again still does not load.

I hope your working on a fix.

No-one is likely to be 'fixing' ANYTHING for Windows 7.

Not yet.

The OS itself is ONLY a Beta.

Generally speaking there is no mileage to be had chasing your tail trying to keep up with changes outside of your control.

Once the OS goes Gold [RTM] then you can argue software for it 'should' be seen to be made compatible.....but not before.....

Lantec
Reply #6 Monday, January 12, 2009 7:18 AM

Hi James,

Yeah Windows 7 - I haven’t written in compatibility yet. They changed the mechanism through which I get Fences loaded so I have to use a different method. Will be taking care of that immediately come “Beta 1”, so check back in sometime in January / a couple weeks after Win7 goes beta.

Thanks

Jeff's response to your previous post. I think the important part is "couple weeks after Win7 goes beta" and since it came out Friday you might want to be a little more patient.

jpmurph1
Reply #7 Monday, January 12, 2009 9:27 AM

I installed Windows 7 the other day, the only problem i had was drivers for system interrupt controllers, and believe me i tried everything, of course my machine ran much slower than it should have, then again the release i installed was not the one MS just released friday, so i am gonna give it another try later on today, other than that i did like what i saw, some of the new features are pretty cool

Vad_M
Reply #8 Monday, January 12, 2009 10:50 AM

I think any upgrades must be substantiated. More than if you want to use a new OS! Why did you hurry to install the unfinished product that still in development? May be you expected some unbelievable miracles from this action?

I'm sure this is just a vain spending of time... Remember what happened with beta versions of Vista!  So Windows 7 will not ready for using at least during a half of year. Then you may try it and may hope to get a good results.

Reply #9 Monday, January 12, 2009 11:09 AM

Vad...I've just finished a mod on Jeff's "Fences". This mod parts the Red Sea.

JMB1984
Reply #10 Monday, January 12, 2009 1:23 PM

Planning to get a Win7 fix for the next update... the only thing i believe that needs fixing is the load-with-explorer mechanism ; it has been changed so I need to find a new way to load at startup. Everything else to my knowledge is compatible as expected, so it should be pretty straightforward. Watch your email for a next announcement!

mickeko
Reply #11 Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:08 AM

It's a side project, windows seven beta is a side project (if it's not for you, you'll be in trouble in august )

Makes sense!

It'll be absolutely great along with the new taskbar.

ShelbyGT_The_Car
Reply #12 Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:55 AM

If you downloaded from the link at Neowin - it is a bad download and installs all wrong.

The download at the win7 site is good - but if you do a clean install to a new partition - be sure after it copies the files and goes to restart you remove the disc from the computer. Most usually it tries to reinstall from boot and you get caught in the rollback circle. Thus removing or stopping the disc from running at startup works fine after the system has copied files to the new partition.

Best of luck and the beta does work fairly good - there are some systems that will have problems. No support for a beta and your best bet is to try to report whatever your problems are to MS via feedback link.

JMB1984
Reply #13 Wednesday, January 21, 2009 2:07 AM

Office update from the Fences Dev:

Guueeeeessss what!

You'll see it in the next couple weeks, I'm thinking

Smaky
Reply #14 Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:19 AM

Yep, I am beta testing Windows 7 (64 bits) and as you mention all but the load at startup thing works.... great to know you are planning on testing over Windows 7 too... BTW, I have not problems with fences on Vista. Great work!

verything else to my knowledge is compatible as expected

tmorg
Reply #15 Friday, January 23, 2009 9:13 AM

Windows 7 beta installs Fences fine but as soon as I restart the computer it loses everything and I have to uninstall and re-install to get it back running. This is an awesome program and want to see it succeed....

ZubaZ
Reply #16 Friday, January 23, 2009 10:48 AM

Known issue.  It's being worked on.

tmorg
Reply #17 Saturday, January 24, 2009 8:53 AM

I love this product ....please resolve this for windows 7.....thanks

ZubaZ
Reply #18 Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:20 AM

I love this product ....please resolve this for windows 7.....thanks
Aiming at a moving target has it's own risks.  Patience.

mickeko
Reply #19 Saturday, January 24, 2009 1:50 PM

I love this product ....please resolve this for windows 7.....thanks

There's really nothing to be resolved with this issue... It's a question of an added feature. It'll be added when it's added, I rather have a properly coded solution than some quick'n'dirty fix to make it work fast.

Personally I'd really prefer 3 different versions of all software, so they are 100% native to the OS. But that really adds alot of work for the developer, so I don't blame them for not doing it that way.

vStyler
Reply #20 Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:03 PM

Personally I'd really prefer 3 different versions of all software

(serious portion) I agree !!!!!

(Comedy portion)

Snicker

and I want a big bag of cash delivered in a custom made satchel every morning at my breakfast table.

Small bills plz