Wacom Tablet Creates an Interesting Logon Problem

And there is not a thing I know to stop it!

Saturday, January 3, 2009 by KeithMacDonald | Discussion: Windows Vista

A managed to get myself a Wacom Bamboo Tablet, installed the drivers and plugged it in. I love it! Awesome for digital drawing (never use a mouse for drawing again!)

But when I finally got bored, and locked my computer, I noticed I have a new, virtual on-screen keyboard. No, not the default Windows Help virtual keyboard that you can turn off in two buttons. A new, sleek, and absolutely useless program I cannot turn off or get rid of! I mean really, I wrote this in my PHYSICAL keyboard, and I will never use a virtual keyboard at all! Now I have one shown just underneath the password/user account fields.

I just changed my Vista Logon screen, and the only problem with it now is that the keyboard takes too much space, will never be used and cannot be turned off! (I'm running a cheap 1024x768 resolution LCD screen, don't have the money for a bigger one... yet )

So I need help getting rid of this problem! I've research around online and found nothing that helped me. I'm propably missing a simple switch that turns it off and on or something.

...I've tried unplugging the Wacom Tablet, no change at all. I believe I could change it with older drivers, but really, why would I revert to older drivers that I would have to download to use? The drivers I'm running right now are on the disk that came with the tablet, and are the latest of them all. I'm going to read the manual and see if I can find some help from that...

angus1949
Reply #1 Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:02 PM

Did the problem just start when you installed the Wacom.  It could very well have installed with the Wacom driver CD.  Have you contacted Wacom support about the issue?

ZubaZ
Reply #2 Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:42 PM

Ever since XP SP3 the TabletPC enhancements have been added to teh build.  And now that it detects a tablet . . it's enabling that functionality.

You can try typing the following into a command prompt.  It should disable it.

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Ink\loginkey.dll"

CarGuy1
Reply #3 Wednesday, January 7, 2009 5:06 PM

CarGuy1 wonders...is Aaron that smart or did he Google for the answer?

ALMonty
Reply #4 Wednesday, January 7, 2009 5:16 PM

Google

ZubaZ
Reply #5 Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:52 PM

I did google . . which is the smart thing to do.

But . .  I only had to google the command . . because I knew the cause.

liquidguru
Reply #6 Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:04 AM

I found with my Wacom tablet that I had to disable all the built in Vista tablet PC functions that automatically activated themselves when installing the tablet.

Control Panel - Programs - Turn Windows features on or off

Then uncheck the Tablet PC Optional Components.

It takes a little time, then you have to reboot.

After that the Wacom just works in the graphics programs and not as part of the Vista operating system.