My son did it!

UAC is driving me nuts!

Monday, December 29, 2008 by jazzymjr | Discussion: Windows Vista

My son got me Vista for Christmas....I really didn't want it, but he insisted I needed it so that I could make blinds for Vista.  Ughhhh....

I am going nuts over this UAC stuff.  Every time I try to open a folder, I keep getting "Access Denied" messages.  Thiis is nuts!  I am signed on as administrator, so I don't know what the deal is.

Is there info anywhere on how to make friends with Vista?  If this keeps up, I'm gonna get rid of Vista and go back to my XP.

On a side note, I had no problems installing Vista...only had to find one driver.  And all of my programs installed without a hitch, except for one game that was pretty old, so I ditched it.

I really need some help here

2of3
Reply #1 Monday, December 29, 2008 9:09 AM

I would like to welcome you to the Dark Side, Mary Jane

Now get skinning for Vista!

About your probs: I'm sure some genious will be along to give you advise. Personally, I haven't had a single issue with Vista!

MadDeez
Reply #2 Monday, December 29, 2008 9:13 AM

which folders? 'my documents', 'my pictures', 'my music', and other so-called 'my' folders? these folders are leftovers from the xp era and are not abled to be accessed in vista. vista's equivalent folders are the same but without the 'my'.

anyway, go to 'users' in control panel and disable the UAC feature. it's the first thing i do when i install vista after a format.

Wizard1956
Reply #3 Monday, December 29, 2008 9:15 AM

You can use TweakVista or Click on ControlPanel/Security/User Accounts and Family Safety/UserAccounts.Click on "Turn User Account on or off" then uncheck the box.I beleive a reboot is required and congrats on getting "Vista-ized".

jazzymjr
Reply #4 Monday, December 29, 2008 9:29 AM

Thank you guys!  My son said NOT to disable UAC, despite me arguing with him that it is a pain in the butt!  But, I can't stand this anymore....so, I will turn the dang thing off!

As far as folders....I did a clean install (reformatted my hard drive and started from scratch), so I don't have any of the "My" folders.

BTW, I still have XP on my laptop, so I will still be doing XP skins.  My laptop is not powerful enough for Vista.

Reply #5 Monday, December 29, 2008 9:30 AM

Been there, done that and bought the T-shirt.

Jazzy...since you and angus are buds, I'll send you the T-shirt free!

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Vista

2of3
Reply #6 Monday, December 29, 2008 9:54 AM

BTW, I still have XP on my laptop, so I will still be doing XP skins. My laptop is not powerful enough for Vista.

Remember that you have plenty of people to ask if you get stuck on some of the Vista skinning parts. I may not be the most experienced skinner, but I do know a couple of things

MadDeez
Reply #7 Monday, December 29, 2008 10:08 AM

you have the 'my' folders. maybe they aren't showing because you aren't showing hidden or system folders. i'm not sure about that. or maybe the newer releases of vista don't have the 'my' folders. i got vista the day it was released. maybe ms has modified it a bit since then regarding the 'my' folders.

Skinhit
Reply #8 Monday, December 29, 2008 10:19 AM

jazzy be patient. give it a few days and get used to it. I love my Vista

Reply #9 Monday, December 29, 2008 11:07 AM

Skinhit
jazzy be patient. give it a few days and get used to it. I love my Vista

This is the truth.

Thank G-d Vista wasn't that terribly diff from XP. For some reason, though...XP came quicker...probably because I was younger.

The advice to use TweakVist was really sound. The UAC is a royal PIA and the quicker you disable it the better.

Happy New Year and enjoy Vista...Nice present!

casualtraveller
Reply #10 Monday, December 29, 2008 11:20 AM

Vista is soo much better but takes a lot of getting used to - just stick with it bud - its the right choice.

I have my UAC still running but dont seem to notice it much these days.   You shouldnt be getting access denied for any folder on a local drive i dont think.

Stick with it - you dont want to stay with smelly xp...

jazzymjr
Reply #11 Monday, December 29, 2008 1:55 PM

Well, I disabled UAC...no problems so far!

I do not have the "My" folders....I have Vista, 32 bit, with SP1.  Maybe they made changes since the original release.

I haven't installed any of the Stardock stuff yet on this pc.  I want to make sure I have Vista running good, before I add that stuff.  So, I am looking at the original Vista skin....at least it is not as bad as the Luna crap of XP.

Patience is not one of my virtues....I want things to work right yesterday   But, i can see that Vista does have a learning curve...it is different enough from XP that my poor brain is rattled!

Thanks for the T-shirt doc!

Ausvet
Reply #12 Monday, December 29, 2008 5:42 PM

Winbubbles a Vista Tweaker has options on it to put in right context menu Take Ownership of File and Take Ownership of Folder, lots of other tweaks in it, it runs in its own folder you can put that anywhere and it is free.

Great for getting into Vista Folders and files when get Access Denied like some folders inside ProgramData (hidden) by default. Good instructions on first use.

A couple of programs seem to not install on Vista properly, for them right click them and Install as Administrator even though you do have User rights, Quicken was/is a culprit but I think they may have fixed it but my XP version worked fine if installed by right click Install as Administrator - if installed normally it would forget all transactions and me as its User.

pjdark
Reply #13 Monday, December 29, 2008 6:25 PM

Yeah, i think you will enjoy using Vista. As with all new os's, it will take a little time getting used to but i think you will really like it. I definitely love my Vista machine. Runs fast and smooth.Nice gift to get jazzymjr.