I need a DX coder for Chanukah

dreidel, dreidel, dreidel

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 by ZubaZ | Discussion: DesktopX

Back in 2001, AlexG made a DX object of a dreidel as a Christmas present to koop.  (Hey, baby Jesus was a Jew, right?)

It's a nice animated icon but it's just an animation.

Anyone interested in trying to make a dreidel that can be played?

Reply #1 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:09 PM

Correct...he was born a Jew, became a Rabbi (teacher), preached goodness, kindness and mercy and died a Jew.

I would love to see a "Hannukah Tracker" a Menorah that would light another candle each night of Hannukah.

A dreidel is a wonderful idea also, and thank you for  remembering us in this Holiday Season, Zubaz.

PS...Thanks for getting my settings fixed....you like k10w3's Dr. Winky?

Littleboy
Reply #2 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:22 PM

Working on a little script. If anyone wants to create a new animation, anything on the form of a png file with all the frames (same concept as AlexG object) should work.

ZubaZ
Reply #3 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 5:09 PM

Thanks Julien!

ZubaZ waves at the doc

Littleboy
Reply #4 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:32 PM

Here is a test widget. Drop the dre.png file from AlexG object into the AppData folder to make it work.

You can add your own animation by adding the png file to the AppData folder and editing the DreidelConfig.ini file to adjust the frame for each face.

Now we need some new animations

ZubaZ
Reply #5 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:40 PM

I'll try to find an artist tomorrow.  Thanks again.

(if it were a Winky dreidel I betI'd have a ton by now.  )

ZubaZ
Reply #6 Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:32 AM

Bump!

Calling all artists*!

[*Well . . not all of them.  Just the ones here.  And not all teh ones here . . just the good ones.  And not really only the good ones . . anyone who can do a good animation witll work. ]

Reply #7 Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:49 AM

Zubaz
Bump!

Calling all artists*!

Sigh. Doc abandons hope as Zubaz laughs.

ZubaZ
Reply #8 Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:15 PM

Can't open that widget in DX Builder.

Don't see it on screen when I load it up after adding the dre.png (is in systray though)

Littleboy
Reply #9 Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:48 PM

Argh, my bad, I think I exported it while on my second monitor. It's there, only offscreen

Updated the zip file with a fixed gadget and added the dxpack

ZubaZ
Reply #10 Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:07 PM

Still can't import into DX builder "Not a valid DX object"

Still can't see anything.

Will wait for someone else to test.

Littleboy
Reply #11 Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:25 PM

Stupid external script support   Should be fixed at least

ZubaZ
Reply #12 Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:34 PM

Works!  Cool!

Now must break.

Littleboy
Reply #13 Monday, December 8, 2008 8:16 AM

Hey Zu! So, did you get somebody to do some animations?

I'll probably update the scripts to use a timer instead of sleep calls as this could cause a DesktopX crash in some cases (another bug I need to report ).

If a more complex animation behavior is needed, let me know (I can add separate roll/in/out frame sequences definitions if requested). Right now, it takes a simple png file with all the frames. It needs to loop perfectly and needs to have the last frame identical to the first one (this is to work with AlexG animation, but we probably want to drop that requirement once we have a new animation). Everything should ideally be configurable from the ini file with no need to touch the script files.

ZubaZ
Reply #14 Monday, December 8, 2008 8:56 AM

This post isn't getting the attention I'd hoped for.  People of the tribe, where are you?

I've tried to contact AlexG to no avail.  We can link to his object from here without permission but that's a pain for everyone.