I had an idea for RightClick...other than png's, everybody already knows that one!

A suggestion for RightClick from Your friendly neighborhood garbageman.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 by bk13GarbageMan | Discussion: Customization Software

Since the Object Desktop 2009 suggestions thread has been closed due to it's release, and because I couldn't find any other RC suggestion threads.........I made my own After downloading Night Train's WB Mama's Boy at the GUIC and taking His advice to try it out and see how well it re-colors...........I thought it would be cool if RC had a hue shifter. So if you have a WB that you re-colored and you have an RC that matched, you could re-color that too. I don't know if this was already suggested, or if it's already in the works.....but I thought I would throw it out there!
bk13GarbageMan
Reply #1 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:03 PM

What do You think?????

ZubaZ
Reply #2 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:06 PM

That would be cool.

Philly0381
Reply #3 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:21 PM

I agree in fact it would be nice to have that function, if not already, in every program.

Would a button be needed to take you back to the skin default color, or do you just save your changes under a new skin name?

bk13GarbageMan
Reply #4 Wednesday, December 3, 2008 12:45 PM

I don't now if they would use a button, or if you would just have to use the slider again. Since you brought up saving, now you got me thinking again. Maybe they could make it so that you could save theme settings, not necessessarily as a new skin, just to have a backed up theme which saves the color settings, which skin you are using, and how you have it set up.

bk13GarbageMan
Reply #5 Saturday, December 6, 2008 5:46 PM

After uploading the RC's I made to match Quest, I realized that I didn't change the colors of the meters for the preview.........

So, now I was thinking that it would be great if we could either code the meter bar color, and if possible, the meter background color right into the menu file, or if not, if it were at least possible to skin those two items.

bk13GarbageMan
Reply #6 Thursday, January 1, 2009 9:07 PM

Bump!

teddybearcholla
Reply #7 Thursday, January 1, 2009 9:40 PM

bk13GarbageMan
Reply #8 Thursday, January 1, 2009 10:26 PM

Thanks for the bump Barb!

WebGizmos
Reply #9 Friday, January 2, 2009 12:05 AM

Hey GM! The hue change thing would be cool...in the right hands of course...I've seen some pretty huegly recoloring going on.  And yeah...I got an idea. How about we get rid of the BMP use...it's so yesterday and a pain in the butt to work with...especially with rounded corners.

PuterDudeJim
Reply #10 Friday, January 2, 2009 2:15 AM

I second that emotion!!!!!

aufisch
Reply #11 Friday, January 2, 2009 3:37 AM

Yay for the hue-shift thingie.

And "yay" that the most useful member of the ObjectDesktop family receives the attention and care it deserves....

Fairyy~
Reply #12 Friday, January 2, 2009 8:44 AM

Sadly this is one of the most useful programs that Stardock has made, yet never received much attention after its initial release. It was quite popular in the first 6 months.  But , after the first update of the RC program and everyone lost their skin configuration and had to start over from scratch ( which is time consuming if you actually set up the RC for every aspect of travel through your computer ) After all this time the program pretty much remains  ' status quo ' as far as any changes...So BK....hue shifter would be great but the main problems must be resolved first. The fact that many of us cannot import the windowblind skins for the RC menu program is the first thing that should be fixed as that was one of the ' perks ' of a self skinning program , and that is no longer case.  I use only skins I make but the program should function as described.  It should have a ' save configuration ' added so after hours of setting up there would be no more ' lost RC menus' along with the disposal of the outdated use of BMP'S

messiah1
Reply #13 Friday, January 2, 2009 4:50 PM

the disposal of the outdated use of BMP'S

This is really my biggest gripe with RC.  I love the program otherwise.  I think alot could be done graphics-wise if it could use png images.  As of right now, it takes being really creative with the bmps to get some good effects.

bk13GarbageMan
Reply #14 Friday, January 2, 2009 5:38 PM

Hey GM! The hue change thing would be cool...in the right hands of course...I've seen some pretty huegly recoloring going on. And yeah...I got an idea. How about we get rid of the BMP use...it's so yesterday and a pain in the butt to work with...especially with rounded corners.

I second that emotion!!!!!

I definitely agree that some recoloring jobs are just plain awful, maybe if they do put a hue shifter, they can have a *use with caution* message that pops up on mouseover of the slider! and I agree with You both about the Bmp's, that's where I got the idea for the title of this post!

Yay for the hue-shift thingie.

Glad that You like that idea, and I'm trying to give it some attention, but, the care part of it is going to have to fall on the hard working developers at Stardock!

hue shifter would be great but the main problems must be resolved first. The fact that many of us cannot import the windowblind skins for the RC menu program is the first thing that should be fixed as that was one of the ' perks ' of a self skinning program , and that is no longer case. I use only skins I make but the program should function as described. It should have a ' save configuration ' added so after hours of setting up there would be no more ' lost RC menus' along with the disposal of the outdated use of BMP'S

Glad You like the hue shifter idea also Karen, and I agree with You 100% that the standing issues need to be resolved, It would be great if Wb import worked, I Myself like some of the menus that are in the Wb's, that's why when I did the Pirate RC's, I tried to emulate the Wb menu with one of them. The "save configuration" would be a great feature, besides for the fact that I too have lost a menu here and there, and had to set it up all over again, It would also be handy in testing how a new skin behaves with different setups, so, now You could save two or three different configs (w/folders, w/o folders, w/meters, w/o meters, etc.......) and just switch back and forth between them to do those final tweaks. And once again, DAMN that MAGIC PINK!!!

bk13GarbageMan
Reply #15 Friday, January 2, 2009 5:52 PM

the disposal of the outdated use of BMP'S

This is really my biggest gripe with RC. I love the program otherwise. I think alot could be done graphics-wise if it could use png images. As of right now, it takes being really creative with the bmps to get some good effects.

png's would be great Munkeh!

PuterDudeJim
Reply #16 Friday, January 2, 2009 7:17 PM

I promise to make a lot of RC's if they will allow the use of pngs. ( like that'll do any good...lol.)

bk13GarbageMan
Reply #17 Friday, January 2, 2009 8:03 PM

I think that will get the ball rolling Jim!

teddybearcholla
Reply #18 Friday, January 2, 2009 8:08 PM

Maybe I could learn to skin them or make them or whatever it is you do with them!!.....What size frying pan and will a blender work?

bk13GarbageMan
Reply #19 Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:01 PM

Great idea Barb, I use an 8" pan Myself, but, any size will do! I don't recommend the blender though, since RC still uses Bmp's, it's better to do it by hand so You don't get any Magic Pink (AKA invisible pink) mixed in with it.

teddybearcholla
Reply #20 Saturday, January 3, 2009 10:43 PM

8" is that the medium or small size?    Yep I know about magic pink, I've seen it in a wb on occasion, something having to do with my pc though!!!  Well who knows,  I may give it a shot sometime!!!

In the mean time....bump!!!!