Stand alone frame builder

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 by theAVMAN | Discussion: DesktopX

I would like to build a DX Object or Widget the would serve as a frame builder similar to the one in SKS.

I would be glad to do all the graphics if someone could help me with the coding.

Basically I would like to see it has a few options

1-import as many frmes as you want (as long as they all have the same canvas size

2-be able to save as a png

3-choose wheather they are laid horizontal, stacked vertical,or in layers( so later it can be converted to a gif)

If anyone is interested let me know this would be a great tool for animations as well as to all cursor makers who render there cursors it would save a ton of time!

A/V

theAVMAN
Reply #1 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 6:30 AM

theAVMAN
Reply #2 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:18 AM

Thi is kinda what I had in mind!

BONEHEADdb
Reply #3 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:45 AM

Great idea! This would be good tool for building cursors. Da sooner da better!

BONEHEADdb
Reply #4 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:47 AM

bump

theAVMAN
Reply #5 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:23 AM

Great idea! This would be good tool for building cursors. Da sooner da better!

Thanks Drill n Boss hopefully we can get some help the bath import would be awsome for the cursors

number all the frames then just import all at once save as a single file

ZubaZ
Reply #6 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:22 PM

Moving to the DX forum.

Xiandi
Reply #7 Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:43 PM

Fantastic idea!

theAVMAN
Reply #8 Thursday, September 18, 2008 8:27 AM

Thanks Xiandi

I wished I knew how to get it going but I am almost sure it could be done in DX!

theAVMAN
Reply #9 Monday, September 22, 2008 7:33 AM

Can anyone guide me in the right direction here?

milksama
Reply #10 Monday, September 22, 2008 10:27 AM

I think this kind of utility is a really nice idea and could see a great number of uses derived from it.

While creating a utility like this in DesktopX would make the gui creation easier and overall design much nicer, it would be very difficult to implement the features you're looking for natively. DesktopX unfortunately does not include support for encoding .png or .gif images. DesktopX is very flexible though, so if there were some kind of library that offered support for these file formats (allowing free distribution, of course), it would be a (somewhat) trivial task to throw this widget together.

A number of years back in college I actually wrote a graphics app in c++ that included support for encoding and decoding bmp,gif (+animated),jpg. I'd have no problem using my code from this, but unfortunately the drive these (and many other) apps were on is toast (doesn't even spin up).

There is, however, a utility for compiling images into bit strips, that might prove useful until creating the image compiler as a widget became feasible:

I'll see if I can find a free library offering png+gif support that might make this project doable and post here if I do.

Mike

theAVMAN
Reply #11 Monday, September 22, 2008 11:12 AM

Mike

CaptainBeaker
Reply #12 Friday, September 26, 2008 2:21 PM

I think the Imagemagick .dll might be able to do the .png manipulation.  See the Wincustomize link below for more info and a sample DX object/widget:

SirSmiley
Reply #13 Friday, September 26, 2008 3:14 PM

Yeah, the Imagemagick.dll would handle both .png & .gif but, if you wanted only png then my suggestion would be to use the DXCanvas plugin.

If I had the tools I'd probably try to make a specific plugin using only the necessary functions from the ImageMagick sources, they are open for non-commercial purposes I believe.

theAVMAN
Reply #14 Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:17 PM

BONEHEADdb
Reply #15 Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:46 PM

I'll see that BUMP and BUMP it again.