DX resizing background Help

Can I resize a image smaller and still keep the image form?

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 by WeatherBound | Discussion: DesktopX

Can I resize a image smaller and still keep the image form?

I guess i just figured out why I never use a background with rounded corners.

My problem is i made a gadget with rounded corners for a weather object which is 127x367 size.

I am now using the same background image for a email notify gadget, so I resized it to 127x120. Now my corners a not the same as the weather background corners.

Is there a way through DX to keep the same rounded corner Shape the same after resizing it smaller?

or do i need to make new backgrounds for all objects?

PuterDudeJim
Reply #1 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:18 AM
I don't know much, but I picked this up somewhere and it works for me. Right click your background, click properties. Go to the advanced tab. Under horiz. resize margins you put left 30, right 52, stretch.

Top 30, bottom 20, stretch. Leave everything else alone. Apply it. Then go to properties again and resize under the summary tab. Works for me. Hope this helps.
PuterDudeJim
Reply #2 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:19 AM
You may be able to play with the numbers a little, I am not sure. Still learning about margins myself. Good luck.
bilbo1930
Reply #3 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:38 AM
Hi Weatherbound!
Dx not too good as image resize ,u will lost blend mode etc...
My opinion : never use resize bg image on dx . You just made another image in ps or your fav image builder prog, for your wanted bg size. Looks better in this way.
WeatherBound
Reply #4 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 11:49 AM

I have been playing around with that and still i am scratching my head. I will try with those # you gave me and see what happens.

Thanks PuterDudeJim

Bilbo, I just might have to make new ones.
I think a long time ago someone did a tutorial on this but i can not find it.
SirSmiley
Reply #5 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:29 PM
I'm thinking it was one of RomanDA's tutorials?

The way I do it is by having a base object containing top, bottom, left, right, background and four corner objects.
ZubaZ
Reply #6 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:35 PM
WeatherBound
Reply #7 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:53 PM
PuterDudeJim,

Not quite sure what those #'s mean but it worked.
Thanks PuterDudeJim

Zubaz,
Thanks for the link. It will help me in the future.
HAPTORK
Reply #8 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:25 PM
As PuterDudeJim said you should set margins. If you set a margin of 20 in left that means If the image will be resized then the 20 pixels from the left will be left untouched, similarly for the top,right and bottom. If you have a image which has round borders then open it in image editor. Check how much pixels far from the left, border becomes completely straight then set this value for left, similarly for right, top....
This way you will set the correct margins. A higher value may work but lower value wont work.
I hope this info will be worthy although I do know its very short and may be lacking details.
RomanDA
Reply #9 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:43 PM
The advance tab for an image is simple.

I will make a new tutorial on this, but its not really that complicated.

Its just margins, all around the image x pixels from the left KEEP, x pixels from the right KEEP, etc. So you can keep your rounded corners and "Stretch" or "Tile" the part between the 2 margins. It works great when you want to have a basic shape that can grow taller or wider without losing its look. I have used this on dozens of projects, and i think it works very well.

Give me some time tonight, and ill make a simple tutorial on this.
WeatherBound
Reply #10 Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:13 PM
Thanks HAPTORK and RomanDA

Give me some time tonight, and ill make a simple tutorial on this.

I can not wait to read it.
RomanDA