Windows Desktop Manager issue

need help it says it is started but still deskscape says something weird

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 by siten0308 | Discussion: Animated Wallpapers

Hello,

I downloaded and installed everything correctly and successfully, but for some reason, when i go to the desktop background and then to Deskscape animated wallpapers, i click on one and it says "the desktop window manager is not running, deskscape requires the desktop window manager (uxsms) service to be running to function" so i check the service in services.msc, but it says its started and automatic, but the service is called " Desktop window manager session manager" is that the same? please help i want this to work, it would be great. Thank you in advance.

Astyanax
Reply #1 Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:20 PM
Are you able to run Windows Aero, also are your videocard drivers up to date?
Wizard1956
Reply #2 Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:37 PM
I had the same issue,same error.DeskScapes worked fine with v2.00.055, updated to 2.00.058 and the program stopped working. I've since did a restore back to the old .055 vesion ,but am not going to update until I know what happened.I just created a support ticket but I'm willing to wait since it's working now. What version do you have installed,siten0308?
siten0308
Reply #3 Thursday, May 15, 2008 12:43 PM
Hello Wizard, Can you give me the link to download the old v.2.00.055 since that worked for you?
siten0308
Reply #4 Friday, May 16, 2008 9:38 AM
I am still having issues, wont go, still says that error message, try stopping the service desktop window manager service and starting it, made sure i have up to date video drivers, i am able to run the program, but when i select which video background i want under deskscape backgrounds, it still gives me that image, Please Help
Wizard1956
Reply #5 Friday, May 16, 2008 11:54 AM
I'm sorry, but I got that version back by system restore. I did have it archived on Impulse,but wasn't sure how to re-download it. I still won't update til I hear from support.Is a restore out of the question for you? Just back up any changes you've made since the update to Deskscapes first, you'll lose them otherwise.
siten0308
Reply #6 Friday, May 16, 2008 12:20 PM
Umm... This isnt an update, it is a new install wizard, i never had an old version, this is a complete install from the website where it says free. I see why they say it is free, cuz it does not work or no help support. Please anyone? any help, or how do i submit at ticket to them?
Philly0381
Reply #7 Friday, May 16, 2008 12:24 PM
Please anyone? any help, or how do i submit at ticket to them?

Email support@stardock.com.
Wizard1956
Reply #8 Friday, May 16, 2008 12:44 PM
siten0308 please submit a ticket with as much info as possible,date,dl'd version, OS,downloaded from,etc and refer them to this post.Maybe they can get you a working version quicker that way.Be patient,it's worth the wait,and Good Luck yo you.
derson69
Reply #9 Saturday, May 17, 2008 9:49 PM
I have no idea how to use desktop manager. I would like to use dreamscape but have no idea where to start. Are there any guides on how to get started using this software or are you just supposed to "know".....
Wizard1956
Reply #10 Saturday, May 17, 2008 11:03 PM
Desktop manager is a windows process, not a part of DeskScapes. There is a free trial of DS you can check out and more info. All you need to run DeskScapes is Vista, once installed you select dreams just like a wallpaper. Take a look here. I'm nor sure what version is available now.They're amazing to see in action,imo.
WWW Link
derson69
Reply #11 Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:32 AM
I've got vista ultimate running and have allready tried to use Stardock DeskScape but I get the error message " The Desktop Window Manager is not running. Deskscape requires the Desktop Window Manager (uxsms) service to be running to function. Please visit http://dream.wincustomize.com for more information." So here I am! Just how do I get Desktop Window Manager to run?
derson69
Reply #12 Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:56 AM
Ok...I figured out why Destop Window Manager wasn't running...(durr). I located information on the windows website if anyone else may not have windows aero running. Here is a link which will explain how to get windows aero's up and running and allow dreamscapes to operate. http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/c33fe91a-9e6f-41f4-ae82-3ed2d5fa2fbf1033.mspx#EEE
CarGuy1
Reply #13 Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:03 AM
This is how to turn on Windows Aero, which has to be running to use Deskscapes.

Right click on your desktop and choose personalize.
Click on the first choice in the list, "Windows Color and Apperance".
Click on "open classic apperance properties for more color options".
In the window that opens, choose "Windows Aero"
Click OK
You should be able to run DreamScene and DeskScapes now.

If the choice to turn on Windows Aero is not there, your video card is not rated high enogh to run it.
Wizard1956
Reply #14 Sunday, May 18, 2008 10:14 AM
I'm afraid I must disagree.   I have Vista Basic and Vista Standard ONLY, no aero.Vista Home Basic does not support Aero.WB config keeps reminding me of that fact. I have HP DVD play , Realplayer and WMP11. DeskScapes must be using one of the codecs for these.Lack of aero means I get no "blur" effect with WindowBlinds,other than that, who needs the extra bells and whistles. I've seen Vista premium and ultimate,way to complicated for me.Btw,Video is handled by a nVidia6150SE card.Sure ,better specs get better results, but Stardock did a hell of a fine job on Deskscapes, imo.Frame rate and resource use is better than exceptable.The rig is stock+1GB of ram. And keep those great dreams coming, CarGuy1  ( I do still get transparency)
CarGuy1
Reply #15 Sunday, May 18, 2008 1:50 PM
Wizard1956...it's a bit complicated. Your using the registered version that works with all versions of Vista so you do not need Aero or Dreamscenes for DeskScapes to run.

derson69 is running Vista Ultimate with the free version of DeskScapes (1.02) and it requiers Aero for Dreamscenes and DeskScapes to run.

Since siten0308 is getting the "desktop window manager" is not running error, I have to assume that thier configuration is "Vista Ultimate & the free version of DeskScapes".

Now is that confusing or what?
Wizard1956
Reply #16 Sunday, May 18, 2008 2:04 PM
I'm sure it made sense.  I hope they get the trial running,then.How are they going to be "wowed" if it won't work? ( Best of luck,everyone.Sorry if I mis-led anybody.At least they can be confident that the paid version works,and works well. Thanks for correcting me.
fullmetal1
Reply #17 Sunday, May 18, 2008 11:57 PM
I installed windows aero AND it worked!! thaks to all!!
alancharity
Reply #18 Wednesday, May 28, 2008 1:28 PM

hi

i have the version you have but can not go back to an old version as i just re done my pc as a fresh install this is what i have 2.00.058 where can i can get last version back from can you tell me please

thanks
alan charity

Wizard1956
Reply #19 Wednesday, May 28, 2008 1:43 PM
You may need to contact support on that one,or perhaps they will see this post.I still have not re-tried it,and have a ticket in,myself. Have you tried the above suggestions,or looking at other posts about it?.Sorry I couldn't be more help.
GeoffM
Reply #20 Friday, May 30, 2008 10:08 AM
Vista Ultimate (64 bit)
HP tx2000 (Quick Play nV 650)
Many year subscriber of OD

This issue just cropped up during the latest update(s)I'm getting the same error as the OP, Aero is already running, as is WB 6. Since this is recent and affecting more then just myself, and not much changes on my laptop I'm going to assume the recent update is the cause. I'll try reverting back a version to confirm