Wednesday, April 16, 2008 by Island Dog | Discussion: Internet
If you spend any amount of time on the Internet then I would probably bet you have be subjected to some form of talk about social networks. Heck, even here on WinCustomize and JoeUser I regularly talk about the usefulness of such networks. We have a growing group on Facebook about desktop customization, and several of us use Twitter as well.
With all these current networks, and more popping up all the time, it can be difficult to keep track of them all. I use quite a few of these networks for both personal and work use, and I wanted to share a few tips on how I manage some of the more popular ones.
- FriendFeed is one of the hottest new sites around, and it's generating quite a buzz. FriendFeed lets you keep update to date with the happening of all your subscribed friends, favorite bloggers, etc. It will pull updates from services like Flickr, Twitter, YouTube, Digg, and a bunch more. It also allows users to comment on your postings, and see updates posted from your friends as well. You can see my feed here.
- Socialthing! is another website that does a similar function, but I think it has a much cleaner interface. Socialting! is still an invite only service, and I do have a couple of invites to give away if anyone is interested.
- TweetScan is for you Twitter users out there. It lets you search Twitter, and is a good way to find people with similar interests, or people that are just talking about you.
- Twhirl is an application powered by Adobe AIR. It's a Twitter client for your desktop, but the cool thing about this is it will also post to your Pownce and Jaiku accounts as well. It's also available for both PC and Mac, but my personal Twitter client of choice is Witty.
- Alert Thingy is another new application also powered by Adobe AIR. Instead of Twitter, this app focuses on keeping you updated of your FriendFeed feeds, and it also allows you to post messages to Twitter.
So those are a few of my top choices on how to make managing your social networks a little bit easier. If you have any tips or tricks, I would definitely like to hear how you manage yours.
Please login to comment and/or vote for this skin.
Welcome Guest! Please take the time to register with us.
There are many great features available to you once you register, including:
- Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the forums and downloading skins.
- Access to a great community, with a massive database of many, many areas of interest.
- Access to contests & subscription offers like exclusive emails.
- It's simple, and FREE!