Make your own desktop video
Monday, June 11, 2007 by Island Dog | Discussion: Community
I recently posted an article telling users about subscribing to our YouTube channel and group. Posting your desktop screenshots is pretty common on most community forums, and is pretty simple to do as you can simply press the "PrtScn" button or use one of the many utilities that are out there.
Now we have desktops that are using Stardock DeskScapes for animated and dynamic wallpapers, widgets and gadgets that have animations, and plenty of other skins that have some kind of animation to them. Static screenshots just can't tell the full story anymore, so now we can take desktop screenshots to the next level.....desktop videos.
Desktop videos showing off their customization techniques is becoming more common, especially with sites like YouTube, MetaCafe, and MSN Soapbox becoming so popular. The downside is taking a good desktop video is not as easy as a simple screenshot, so I thought it might be a good idea to compile a list of software that you can use to record your desktop.
- Camtasia Studio: It allows you to record, edit, and share your videos and has the most flexibility and features than any other related software I have used. A 30-day trial is available.
- CamStudio: This is a free solution that can also record your desktop and turn them into .avi's, and even into streaming flash videos. This does not have as many features as Camtasia, but it's a great free alternative.
- Wink: Wink is another application to record your desktop or take screenshots, and this one also exports to flash and html.
There are many applications out there that can record your desktop, but these three seem to be the most popular and easiest to use. I would recommend downloading several and trying them to see which one works the best for you.
Recording the desktop is usually just pressing the record button and recording your actions on the desktop. After you record the video many of the applications will allow you to edit the recordings using both audio and visual effects. You can even use tools such as Windows Movie Maker to titles, transitions, and other effects if the application does not include those features.
Once you have recorded your video you can easily upload them to YouTube or any of the many other sites designed for hosting videos. Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel and group, where you can share you own videos with us.
Please login to comment and/or vote for this skin.
Welcome Guest! Please take the time to register with us.
There are many great features available to you once you register, including:
- Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the forums and downloading skins.
- Access to a great community, with a massive database of many, many areas of interest.
- Access to contests & subscription offers like exclusive emails.
- It's simple, and FREE!