Beware of ubericon 1.0.4

Sunday, April 12, 2009 by superman | Discussion: WinCustomize Talk

I installed iColorfolder with skinpack and ubericon 1.0.4 with all plugins.
I just loved the flyaway effect(available through plugin). When I enabled ubericon 1.0.4 to run at startup then it caused XP to crash on next startup.
I tried this on two computers and each crashed. Then I had to remove it in safe mode.
I got the following error. All errors were similar.

STOP: c210000a {Fatal System Error}
The windows SubSystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3  0x0052e9dc)
The system has been shut down.

Is there any other software like ubericon which can apply effects to explorer icons? I liked the flyaway effect.

superman
Reply #1 Sunday, April 12, 2009 10:26 PM

Please tell me if there is any other software like ubericon which can apply effects like zoom, fly etc. to all icons as ubericon does?

Thanks

superman
Reply #2 Monday, April 13, 2009 1:42 PM

angus1949
Reply #3 Monday, April 13, 2009 1:48 PM

You titled the thread "Beware of Ubericon".  Why would anyone else want to try it to see if it screws up their systems?

mickeko
Reply #4 Monday, April 13, 2009 2:25 PM

angus1949

He asked for some software doing the same thing, not that someone should try it..

angus1949
Reply #5 Monday, April 13, 2009 3:09 PM

My mistake..........Mbad.

frankell
Reply #6 Monday, April 13, 2009 4:00 PM

Hi superman

I'm happily running Ubericon on Xp sp.2

apart an antivirus + some stardock programs Ubericon it's one of the first applications I would install in a fresh system just after KO Approach

I really don't think there are problems with Ubericon 1.0.4 maybe something else !

I also made an U Icon to celebrate Ubericon

AW there are shareware programs making icon animations but only on the desktop : Microangelo on Display and Desktop Icon Toys

hope this help !

frankell
Reply #7 Monday, April 13, 2009 6:20 PM

BTW :

Windows XP x64Edition, Vista, as well as alternate shells are not supported: here

superman
Reply #8 Monday, April 13, 2009 10:02 PM

Thanks frankell

I myself have been using ubericon 1.0.2 and for long... but thought I would visit the site to update it to have more effects.

When I visited I got very happy to see it has lots of effects now.

Then I thought I would update icolorfolder too.

I downloaded iColorFolder 1.4.2 and iColorFolder Additional Skin Pack v1.2.1 then installed them. Changed the generic folder style to vista and changed two of folders color to red.

Then I downloaded and installed ubericon 1.0.4 and all its plugins. Then I restart. There were no problem.

After I restart I see ubericon is not running. I run it and chose 'runaway' effect and marked it to run at startup.

Then it crashed.

After few crashes I could start my windows then I could do my work. But while logging off it again crashed.

Then I boot from my backup pendrive and restore my backup.

You titled the thread "Beware of Ubericon". Why would anyone else want to try it to see if it screws up their systems?

Ubericon is such a cool software. I love it still can't run it. The version 1.0.2 run pretty fine. I guess there might be a bug in 1.0.4 I have asked to report it to its authors on twitter.

frankell
Reply #9 Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:24 PM

... just 1 year later I'm still on XP and I had to reformat the OS

well I also experimented crashes on startup with Ubericon but I found the solution:

before updating the application (that was your case) and after unistalling before a new installation  (I reinstalled Ubericon)

you have to REBOOT see the bottom of this link http://ubericon.com/Help/English/

hope it helps Superman or anybody else could be interested !